superior meat rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TroyerGal, Sep 14, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

what is the superior meat rabbit?

New Zealand- good mom, meaty
    Rex- meaty, nice fur
    Californian- meaty

which ones better??!!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Personally, I like the New Zealand. I prefer their temperament to that of the Californians. If white fur is not a priority, there are some other good meat rabbits but I can't remember what they are. Some other rabbit raisers will probably mention them. Another rabbit to consider is the Florida White. They are smaller but they are very meaty and their bones are small. The dressing percentage is excellent.

3. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    The best feed-meat conversion ratio goes to the New Zealand. Friers slaughtered at 8 weeks are economical to raise. The Rex is a good meat and fur breed, but only mature pelts are marketable, and for that you need a market for roaster rabbits.

4. TroyerGal

I'm planning on buying 2 NZ on saturday... i also REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want a rex rabbit! im obsessed with their fur! [​IMG]
    Do rexes still make good meat rabbits if butchered as fryers?

5. TroyerGal

and not grown out to maturity?

6. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    They make good meat rabbits, but if you are raising purely for meat purposes, i would recommend New Zealand. There are tons of colors in the New Zealand breed, so you dont have to own just white rabbits!

7. TroyerGal

I mainly just want a female, for petting :p but a NZ and rex mix will make good babies? for meat?

8. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    They should. Of course, you couldnt sell them at a purebred price or show them, but if sll you want is meat, go on ahead! Many new breeds habe been made by expiraments just like yours.

9. TroyerGal

We have a LARGE family... 9 kids! and we just want a good source of meat... im not planning on selling them [​IMG]

10. DutchBunny03

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    Then go right ahead, and have fun with your bunnies[​IMG]!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by