superworms for my gals

Gabbychicky

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Upstate New York
I have been feeding my girls superworms for the last month. They LOVE them. My question is how many can I feed one chicken. Large Brahma. Pullets this year, no eggs yet but just getting over their first molt. I also feed fermented organic grains about 3/4 cup twice daily for the 2 girls/. Supplement with greens, a good big handful daily. Am I feeding too much. I do things to extremes. Please let me know if I am helping or harming. My first time with chickens and they have really gotten under my skin.
D.gif
D.gif

Do not feed them if you see their crops bulging out but give them as much as they want. If they seem hungry give more but not so much their crops are bulging out. I think you are giving a good amount if they are not hungry but not so bulgy.

yes, and treat treats like treats. lol

Last edited:
Do not feed them if you see their crops bulging out but give them as much as they want. If they seem hungry give more but not so much their crops are bulging out. I think you are giving a good amount if they are not hungry but not so bulgy.
Yes...agree. But remember...those worms are 'treats' .. treat them as such ... give in very limited quantities each time.

I use mealworms as treat routinely as treats / training tools. They are typical of a chickens preferred forage, specifically insects. My free-range birds eating what they want will have an intake that approaches 1/3 insects. Chicks will consume a much higher percentage. Cost effectiveness is the primary reason I do not make mealworms a major component of diet. Feed not as good but gets same job done for a much lower price.

My birds can eat them almost exclusively. The treat concept should not be applied with insects like down with some grains like corn and odd items like yogurt. The birds are well suited for processing insects. It is the highly processed grain based feeds that give the bird's GIT challenges it is less adapted to.

To address question directly, let no single type of item represent more than about 25% of the bird's intake on a consistent basis.

Back
Top Bottom