Supplemental lighting questions

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
We are adding supplemental lighting to the coop. We do know to increase gradually till we reach the desired time.

How much light should we add? And is there a particular type of light? I know chicken chick says she uses an LED strip and Gail Damerow uses Christmas lights (maybe I have that backwards). If you use it, what have you found works for you?

We just started using an LED strip set to white (it's a Kasa color changing one).

how many daylight hours does your area get right now? Take that amount and add 30m-1hr of supplemental lighting daily until you reach your desired total light time (14+ Hours). Up to you whether you want the light to turn on before sunrise or after sunset. I have it set to turn on a few hours before sunrise and turns off few hours after sunset because I don’t want them up too early and making noises that may wake up neighbors (I live in a city). But if you’re somewhere where noise doesn’t matter I’d suggest your lighting be before sunrise. Warm or red light does best, I use a LED strip that’s dimmable and set it to warm color instead of white.

how many daylight hours does your area get right now? Take that amount and add 30m-1hr of supplemental lighting daily until you reach your desired total light time (14+ Hours). Up to you whether you want the light to turn on before sunrise or after sunset. I have it set to turn on a few hours before sunrise and turns off few hours after sunset because I don’t want them up too early and making noises that may wake up neighbors (I live in a city). But if you’re somewhere where noise doesn’t matter I’d suggest your lighting be before sunrise. Warm or red light does best, I use a LED strip that’s dimmable and set it to warm color instead of white.
I knew about increasing the time, but I didn't know about red. I know that color doesn't interrupt their sleep, but didn't know about it for extending daylight. How many lumens do you recommend

red is not necessary, warm/yellow light is fine too. As for lumens don't stress it, if its bright enough that u can read a book but not blinding u then itll be good for the chickens.

If the light is on a timer, keep in mind it will shut off abruptly. That's why some people say to add the extra BEFORE sunrise, so that the sunset will be normal. If the birds are out and about, and it suddenly gets dark, they may be very confused and not be able to find their way into the coop to roost.

If you can dim it gradually before it goes off, it might not matter. I know nothing about the technology that is available for this, so my advice may be totally irrelevant. :idunno

If the light is on a timer, keep in mind it will shut off abruptly. That's why some people say to add the extra BEFORE sunrise, so that the sunset will be normal. If the birds are out and about, and it suddenly gets dark, they may be very confused and not be able to find their way into the coop to roost.

If you can dim it gradually before it goes off, it might not matter. I know nothing about the technology that is available for this, so my advice may be totally irrelevant. :idunno
We are only adding it during the morning. My question was more about the light brightness and color (warm vs cool). But thank you.

My question was more about the light brightness and color (warm vs cool).
I don't think color is crucial, consistent timing is more important.
'Bright enough(for keeper) to read a newspaper at roost height',
and they need to see well enough to get down and eat/drink
is the rule of thumbs I remember.

Back
Top Bottom