Supplements to help hen grow? Please read!

Your mom sounds caring and compassionate. Sugarplum does not need calcium as long as she is not laying, and too much can actually be bad for her. If you feed your hens an all-flock formula of some kind and put oyster shell in a separate dish, she'll help herself when her body tells her she needs it. Sounds like she is getting good care!

Thank you to everyone who has helped! I will definitely keep you updated. Oh! In case you were wondering, Plum is a black Cochin Bantam.
You can also always offer her some little extra protein treats like a couple mealworms…sounds like she’s had a rough time and a few treats wouldn’t be so terrible 😉

Here is my setup. I'm sorry it is a little dark but we are remodeling a trailer we bought so we stay in our camper over there on the weekends. I only come home in the morning and late in the afternoon to move her.

This my main coop with 1 roo and 2 hens. The smaller cage next to it is what Plum stays in during the day.
20210925_192207.jpg

This is Plums cage. The golf club through the cage serves as a roost bar. The bottom has wire but grass pokes through.
20210925_192213.jpg

This is the main coop.
20210925_192225.jpg

This is a pic I took of the chickens on the bar. I circled Plum.
20210925_192240.jpg

20210925_192240~2.jpg
20210925_192322.jpg

If you can replace the golf club with a flat board of some kind, your chickens will be more comfortable. Unlike a lot of birds like parrots whose feet grip a round perch when they sleep, chickens sit flat on their feet. I think your birds are quite pretty.

If you can replace the golf club with a flat board of some kind, your chickens will be more comfortable. Unlike a lot of birds like parrots whose feet grip a round perch when they sleep, chickens sit flat on their feet. I think your birds are quite pretty.
x2 on replacing the golf club, but chickens can sleep on a rounded surface. A thick sturdy branch is a free option if you scrounge around your neighborhood.

Plum definitely looks a bit ragged compared to the others, but some good feed should help her out with that.

Back
Top Bottom