Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Anyone have success hatching a baby that got a bit damaged by another bird laying an egg in the nest
I’m going to block her off so they can’t keep laying in her nest Every morning I take 3 eggs out so 3 girls are going in there
The egg was fine yesterday as I check them daily to remove the new eggs
These guys are day 19
Mom has been so good and dedicated
Do I leave it the way it is
Try to repair it ? How ?
Or let nature take its course
Baby is still moving right now and very much alive but it’s only just happened this morning
I’m going to go build her enclosure so at night I can lock her in so her sisters don’t go lay in her box in the morning
In the day she needs to be able to come out of the pen to eat , drink and bath
She does this twice a day
All girls lay before I let them out so this should work
Sad to say before I could even try to fix the egg I needed mom to get off the nest
I was waiting till this afternoon at her usual time she came out but brought the egg and baby out of the egg out and left it
She knew it wasn’t going to hatch and wasn’t going to hurt her clutch
I have fenced in an area for her I can close at night ti keep the others out of her nest and be able to keep her locked in when they start to hatch yo keep others away from the little ones
A day late but it’s done and she has 6 strong active eggs still

Attachments

• B4EFC686-9B8B-4603-A028-477A1845CE4B.png
    B4EFC686-9B8B-4603-A028-477A1845CE4B.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
I am sure that she must quack for you to know it is a female. It's good to know that a female can have a green beak. I have a baby half Blue Swedish Call and the Momma is on the Maury Povich show for Whose Your Momma??? It is getting a green head. Now if only Hens could have a green head! LOL
Her quack isnt raspy. I have tried to get videos to post on here. Ill try again.

I am currently trying this, as one of my hens demanded she was going to brood.
... My plan has backfired as I now have more than one hen that id determined to brood.
I'm only a couple weeks in, but my eggs are developing.
Well i can't do it now. She of course doesnt want to stay broody.

Has anyone ever heard a female duck whistle? I have two 5 week old Runner Ducklings. When they were in the house I heard one of them whistle for sure so I knew it was a boy. Now they are both making a somewhat quacking sound but not real loud. Sorry I can't do pictures or sound on here, I am not that savvy. Thanks for any information you may have on them.
UPDATE: Both of my Runner Ducks are quacking their heads off at 6 weeks old. I have never had a female duckling whistle before so this is a first for me. I was shocked when its voice change into a full quack along with its sibling. I am one happy Duck Momma!!! I did read once if a duckling is startled it could whistle so that must have been the case for this one.

Back
Top Bottom