Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Pics
Oh my! I can't even picture what my mother 's face would have looked like if I had put a duck in the backyard, let alone a chicken in the house.

But I think that duck's facial expression may be close... "I am not amused!"
Well I was very sneaky, she didn't believe store eggs would hatch so she just played along with her permission 🤣
Then they started developing and she kept telling herself they wouldn't hatch.

Then Dougie hatched and she just got hypnotised by those duckling eyes, so we didn't have a problem. Now... My dad had zero clue the entire time. I did try to tell him about the duck eggs developing in my room, but he has this thing were he doesn't listen--
So on boxing day morning I went downstairs with a tiny Dougie in my scarf hidden. And then I called him, and showed him, and his jaw almost hit the floor.
Then four days later I had a second duckling ;)

I'm an adult so it's been my responsibility and my business, really. But living at home currently, I've been careful that my girls don't step on their feet. Lol

I don't have ducks, and never thought that I would like them particularly either.
But...if I need cheering up I come to this thread!
I'm glad this thread can cheer you up!! Truthfully I didn't think ducks would be my thing either. They were my second choice when I begun my incubation project... I did research but it was still somewhat impulsive. I knew once they hatched I'd do whatever needed to keep them safe and happy. And I did... and now my entire personality evolves around ducks!!
Maybe I do like ducks after all...and we all know what happens if one starts thinking like that!
Big Eyes Reaction GIF by Bounce

Although I really don't have the space, time or funds in the moment for any more animals.
Same, this is why I can't expand my flock. Yet!

Here is the video I said I would post of how I check my ducks legs / feet if there are issues and also how I give medicine when I have nobody to help me
I did lie in the video when I said I have had him 8 months I actually got him may 1 /2022 at 24 hours old
So almost 11 months. Wow time flies by
I have never shown him a syringe before so you can see how easy it really is
I have checked his feet once when he had a limp back in December
I also have only held him maybe 4 times
He really doesn’t like it but I’m the boss so I win :)
You havs a skill! Im going to try this with Spright later and see if I still get the kicky feets. This really shows me how easy I have it, my girls are fine, the most they will do is try to walk off my lap, then they give up
It's funny though because I've received those wings one time when Dougie got her wings free while I was walking with her, she was excited for the bath and tried to fly in....she really felt like she was flying, held at that height and flapping her wings!....but I had a good hold on her, otherwise she'd have dropped like a potato.

Even less shocking to be abused by a goose than a duck 🤣
yes but they're so sweet too! sometimes*
I just adore them! Someday definitely hope to have geese!
I get on very well with wild geese, and wild swans
I met a gorgeous wild male Swan once, nibbled my hands, wanting treats. Such a handsome bird
I had to refrain from hand feeding them though, it's a preventative rule around here to keep them from chasing people.
That's more aimed at the geese than the swans, but even so it's understandably frowned upon.

Back
Top Bottom