Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

They’re going to need names soon! I’ll probably name them after I take pictures of them with my camera. Here are my 4 favorite I picked before,
-Kipper
-Myrtle
-Pollux
-Figgy
And here’s a list of names for any pets. Suggestions are good too. It also has to be normal enough for me to tell my friends. These are for the 3 welsh harlequins.
-Lavender
-Willow
-Macabre
-Whimsy
-Goose
-Blue
-Echo
-Wren
-Quail
-Lily
-Mimsy
-Olive
-Moose/Mousse
-Odin
-Blueberry
-Blackberry
-Milo
-Hiccups
-Croquette
-Wednesday /Addams
-Dali (Salvador)/Dahl (roald)/ Dahlia (flower)/ Dolly
-Mars
-Madeline
-Marquis
-Esme
-Mocha
-Nova
-Gypsy
-Leia
-Pearl
-Mika
-Cali
-Pepper
-Nessie
-Mangosteen/Mango
-Kefir
-Balut
-Daisy
-Basil
-Ginger
-Sage
-Jasmine
-Chive
-Chamomile
-Peppermint
-Bee
-Taro
-Kipper
-Myrtle
-Pollux
-Figgy
View attachment 3450730
View attachment 3450731
View attachment 3450735
They look great! I love the names, especially figgy :D

Nonsense. They clearly have bills
Black Friday Success GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Oh she has you there haha

So today I decided I'm gonna have to separate my females :(, a friend told me that eventually it will get ugly with the future ducklings because they're both sitting on only one nest (not 2 separate ones in the same box). So I spent all day putting together another nest box out of the same type of crate I made the first one out of. I gutted it, re drilled places where bad quality nails were, sanded places where any splinters were possible, took the bottom out so it's bottomless, then stained it. Looks better than the first almost!

Tomorrow I'll do one more coat of stain, and place the box where I want it, right next to the first one so that they can both share the cage when they hatch. I'm hoping for it to go either of 2 ways:

1, have mallard stay broody even though she'll be moved to new nest box and then once I'm sure she's broody I'll either split up the eggs that both ducks are sitting on now or give her just 2-3 of my eggs that are in the bator so that both sets of ducklings will still have the same hatch day
or
2, Temporarily break mallard's broodiness just enough for her to lay more eggs (assuming they'll still be fertile?) and not collect them and eventually have her sit back down. Downsides include having to wait for eggs again, and possibility of not sitting back down

Leaning towards option 1.

So today I decided I'm gonna have to separate my females :(, a friend told me that eventually it will get ugly with the future ducklings because they're both sitting on only one nest (not 2 separate ones in the same box). So I spent all day putting together another nest box out of the same type of crate I made the first one out of. I gutted it, re drilled places where bad quality nails were, sanded places where any splinters were possible, took the bottom out so it's bottomless, then stained it. Looks better than the first almost!

Tomorrow I'll do one more coat of stain, and place the box where I want it, right next to the first one so that they can both share the cage when they hatch. I'm hoping for it to go either of 2 ways:

1, have mallard stay broody even though she'll be moved to new nest box and then once I'm sure she's broody I'll either split up the eggs that both ducks are sitting on now or give her just 2-3 of my eggs that are in the bator so that both sets of ducklings will still have the same hatch day
or
2, Temporarily break mallard's broodiness just enough for her to lay more eggs (assuming they'll still be fertile?) and not collect them and eventually have her sit back down. Downsides include having to wait for eggs again, and possibility of not sitting back down

Leaning towards option 1.
Sorry it's so long...TL;DR is I need to separate broodies and figure out how I'll keep them both sitting in separate boxes

So gorgeous
That eye look though
They all have it. They suck us in and we become their slaves 😂
Absolutely. I've been giving them mandatory cuddles daily which consists of them piling on me, chewing on my clothes, pooping all over my floor and me petting them and cleaning up their poop.
10/10 will do it again today

Back
Top Bottom