Supportive hen

Lovable Chicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I have a few chickens who have recently started laying. One of the hens will stand over and pace with the other hens who are about to lay and then she will sing the egg song. I have never seen a chicken do this before. Just thought I would share this and see if anyone else had a supportive hen.

Egg laying is pretty much always a group activity. Even the roosters will "sing" about it!
smile.png

I have a Delaware who spends her day watching the nest box and making a racket every time someone else goes in. She's very loud and by the sounds of it she's laying a 3 yolker. Honestly, I don't think the girls like her much
smile.png
She's all talk and no action.

Yes, I have an attentive watcher. She sometimes freezes mid step and stares for long periods of time and then does the buck buck buck bDACKET hen song during or after the hen lays her egg. She is so tuned in to anyone on the nests that it's very interesting to observe. I wonder why she is so tuned in. She lays an egg a day herself & is a five-month old Plymouth Rock. My favorite, too.

My Roo is supportive, when a pullet is about to lay an egg and does the egg song he is right there answering her every call cheering her on , What a guy!!!
thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif

My Partridge Plymouth Rock is my attendant. She will pace along with the others and groom them and go in the coop with them. When I go in to change their water, she is right at my feet, filling me in on all the gossip. Honestly the things I could possibly learn if I could speak chicken.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom