Supposed HUGE snow storm..how will they fair??

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
I wasn't sure where to post this, but my "flock" consists of all my birds,Chickens AND ducks.

anyways, we're supposed to get this HUGE nasty snow tonight,

it's snowing right well,now.

I put the new baby chicks in the brooder room,wich is actually a ROOM, with two heatlamps,food and water. this is where they will live until they are old enough to go with the older birds.

but I'm worried about how they'll do with the cold, the room is cool, but no where near what it's like outside.

theres also the two broody hens, the bantam in the old wooden shed, and the red hen in the feed room, the feed room door is closed, to keep the wind out.

the rest of the boys and girls have been shut up in the chicken coop.

I know ducks and geese do well in cold, and snow, but don't like the wind so much, they've got a few places to get out of the brunt of the wind, but still, and what about the eggs??, I have three duck nests right now, Rosilee, has got about 12 eggs that she's worked hard on, plus lyras new nest, and the mallard nest. I'm worried that the cold will crack them, then the ducks hard work will be ruined
hit.gif

I Know ducks and geese

Last edited:
All was well this morning...sort of
sickbyc.gif

the chicks were ok, when i open the chickens pop door to let them out, they were nothing doing
gig.gif
, they havn't left the coop ALL day.

I found that the wind had blow the old wooden shed door open sometime in the night, and Natalie was COVERED in snow,up to her head, I cleared it all off of her, she had ICE on her comb and waddles, and all over her feathers
ep.gif

she left the nest after a while and the eggs started to get cold, so I took them in for an hour and put them in the bator until I saw her sitting outside the shed door looking rather sad, she let me pick her up, I set her on her spot in the shed, then went and got her eggs and gave them back.

I had to repair the ducks mesh pentop because the wieght of snow had knocked it all down. plus I had to remove two nests of eggs because the eggs got cracked, Rosilees eggs, however wernt even that cold, so I left those 13.

I hope it clears up soon!

5° here with a -8° wind chill....the chickens are out pecking something(who knows what?) off the ground and loving life....tough flock! They seem very relaxed and comfortable in their foraging.

Back
Top Bottom