supposed to be a 4mon old Marans Cockerel, seems stuck maturing?

gung ho chick palace

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2023
I am a new chicken owner, less than a year with a dozen egg layers and doing well. I added this baby "rooster" that I purchased as a Marans". He is growing tall, (almost tall like hens now), free ranges all day, super sweet, has feathers on toes, a button of a spur and his crown has been the same size since I got him 6 weeks ago. He shpukd be 4 months old. Is there something wrong with my little baby?

Attachments

• 20230807_083643.jpg
    20230807_083643.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230807_083557.jpg
    20230807_083557.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 21
There's nothing wrong with the bird. It's looking like you got a pullet instead of a cockerel. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a cockerel on Craigslist if you really want one.
Oh boy, I live in Mexico and it took me a while to find someone who knows someone who breeds Marian’s. The connection was on Facebook and I just wrote to them.

how much do Marans cockerels and pullets cost in USA?
I am embarrassed to say mine was 100usd here, that pulled that was to be a cockerel. I cannot drive chickens in from Texas.:bow

Oh boy, I live in Mexico and it took me a while to find someone who knows someone who breeds Marian’s. The connection was on Facebook and I just wrote to them.

I am embarrassed to say mine was 100usd here, that pulled that was to be a cockerel. I cannot drive chickens in from Texas.

Price depends on quality, but often there are extra cockerels that breeders will sell for less. 10, 20 dollars.

I am embarrassed to say mine was 100usd here, that pulled that was to be a cockerel. I cannot drive chickens in from Texas.:bow
Oh dear. See what they say. I would think anyone selling a cockerel for that price is either selling really REALLY excellent stock or totally shady. If the connection is somewhat known, I would prefer to err on the side of Marans being notoriously hard to sex, so maybe if I was a younger chick when you got her it was an honest mistake? Benefit of the doubt??? 😬😬😬 In which case they should have *zero problem* making it right for you.

Or else you just got played. I really hope not though.

For a certain breed, I know a show quality breeder who would only charge $100 for a full grown, proven adult, significantly less though for a started bird. I want to say his started birds start at $70. Locally, various breeds of started pullets to laying hens might go for $20-30, generic quality, chicks would be less. Lots of times you find people giving cockerels away for free, and it just depends on the breed, if it's decent they might still charge $10-20-30. But I mean, either way $100 usd is kind of a lot to pay for a baby cockerel. :/

Oh dear. See what they say. I would think anyone selling a cockerel for that price is either selling really REALLY excellent stock or totally shady. If the connection is somewhat known, I would prefer to err on the side of Marans being notoriously hard to sex, so maybe if I was a younger chick when you got her it was an honest mistake? Benefit of the doubt??? 😬😬😬 In which case they should have *zero problem* making it right for you.

Or else you just got played. I really hope not though.

For a certain breed, I know a show quality breeder who would only charge $100 for a full grown, proven adult, significantly less though for a started bird. I want to say his started birds start at $70. Locally, various breeds of started pullets to laying hens might go for $20-30, generic quality, chicks would be less. Lots of times you find people giving cockerels away for free, and it just depends on the breed, if it's decent they might still charge $10-20-30. But I mean, either way $100 usd is kind of a lot to pay for a baby cockerel. :/
Thank for your comment. It was sold to me at 2.5mon of age. Can one tell if Cockerel or pullet at that age? A few weeks later without the wattle coming in nor the crown getting bigger I gave benefit of doubt that he was younger. Not so as I realized.

The eyes are black, Marans are to have golden eyes, can they change later from black to golden?

I haven't heard back from the seller yet. Maybe a scam. I'll follow up.

Your bird is a pullet, not a cockerel. I am sorry for you getting scammed out of so much money!

a button of a spur
All chickens have spur bumps, no matter their gender.

It was sold to me at 2.5mon of age. Can one tell if Cockerel or pullet at that age?
In a breed that matures at an average speed, you should be able to tell their gender by six weeks. Sometimes, you can tell their gender by two weeks. There are also autosexing and sex-linked breeds, which are immediately sexed at hatch.

Thank for your comment. It was sold to me at 2.5mon of age. Can one tell if Cockerel or pullet at that age? A few weeks later without the wattle coming in nor the crown getting bigger I gave benefit of doubt that he was younger. Not so as I realized.

The eyes are black, Marans are to have golden eyes, can they change later from black to golden?

I haven't heard back from the seller yet. Maybe a scam. I'll follow up.
Yeah 10 weeks is pretty far along that most breeds can be sexed with confidence by that point due to physical characteristics alone i.e. just by looking at them, but I know there are some breeds that are notoriously harder to pin down till as much as 12 weeks. The internet says black copper marans would have different feather patterns by 6-8 weeks, so there you go. By 10 weeks, even if someone is not doing vent sexing (which Marans are notoriously hard to vent sex) by 10 weeks, it would be clear.

Out of interest, do you have any pics from when you first got her?

No, their eye color would not change, which is an excellent point. I'm pretty sure this girl isn't even a pure BCM, or poor quality at best, but again, I'm not an expert at all in the breed. Maybe a cross.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom