Supposed to be a supply run....

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
So earlier I called the four nearest feed stores.... a little recon if you will...

TSC in Mansfield has chicks, no ducks, but not any at the moment. Shipment expected Tuesday.

Adam's Feed, just down the road, there was no answer.

Handley, in FTW but very close still, does not sell chicks or ducks period.

Marshall, further down Lancaster but still close, does get chicks, but their next shipment is expected in two weeks.

Well I reckoned what I'd do is run to Adam's and see if they were open and if not go to Handley to get The Supplies. Had my list. Pine Bedding, Chick Grit, Feeder, Waterer, Bulb (already had a shield), etc.

Well, get up to Adam's and they are open... cool... AND THEY HAD CHICKS AND DUCKLINGS! See earlier we'd taken a vote and it was sorta 50/50 chicks vs ducks. Actually, the guys didn't really care one way or the other... I leaned towards chickens, less mess/water issues and more eggs... DD leaned to ducks for the cute factor. Well, we got there and that changed. DS was uber loving the chicks. Loved their curious nature when he dangled the string on his hoodie down... and DD just went gaga over them too. The ducks were cute and all, but they just loved the personality of the chicks. (well and DD went gaga over the bunnies but that's a battle for another day) Ducks were yellow, I'm guessing Peking and what looked to me like brown runners... straight run. The chicks were Gold Sex Links. Not the Dels/Amer that I was dreaming of but...

We are officially the proud parents of four GSL chickies. Brooding in the shower as we speak. DS helped me pick, and I grabbed them myself. Rather than letting the worker (VERY nice and knowledgable) pick for us. We snagged the ones that came up to my hand to investigate. 1 - Not afraid of humans 2 - Curious = Healthy in my book. Anywho, they are currently chilling in their broody. Dozing here or there. One has already figured out the perch and is quite comfy. Clever girl. She let me give her a finger back rub until she fell asleep... WHAT A SWEETHEART!

The kids are thrilled. Actually, DD is sitting in there on the toilet just staring at them... and has been since we put them in. I think she'll make an excellent chickie mama. And it may distract her from her dreams of Bunny Parenthood. Gah!

Thank You Again to BYC and all the folks who've helped us get where we are. Would never have had the info and thus the confidence to try without you!!

Oh, and as soon as my flipping batteries are charged I'll try getting pictures...
smile.png

Now... to get that coop built that I designed....

UPDATE: PICS IN POST #6!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Oh, and FWI for any FtW/Arlington folks...

TSC has a MINIMUM of six. That makes it tough on Arlington folks who can only have four, but there you go.

There's no minimum on ducks or chicks at Adam's Feed.

Didn't mention it, but didn't think to ask about Marshall's.

Okay, finally got the camera/upload figured...

Here's our shower broody... I thought using holey bricks and a stick for a perch was rather clever....

RandomnChicks139.jpg

A little closer...

RandomnChicks141.jpg

I am no mere chicken. I am a flamingo!

RandomnChicks145.jpg

This is what comes of just reaching the camera down and pushing the button... also titled "Guess What? ChickenButt!"

RandomnChicks144.jpg

We're Cousins... We're Two Of A Kind....

RandomnChicks142.jpg

The Three Musketeers...

RandomnChicks143.jpg

Not having any trouble finding the buffet...

RandomnChicks148.jpg

97 98 99 100 Ready or Not Here I Come...

RandomnChicks149.jpg

wee.gif

Well, pardon the pun, but we're great big chickens. Kiddos wanted to see about a sleepover at Nana's (DH's parents) so they gave a call, all's well. We got some supper then took them over. DS was just going nuts trying to resist blabbing on the phone... told him once we get over there you can blab. So then he was about jumping out of his skin wanting to blab when we got there... but we made him wait until we were gone.... hence the title of CHICKEN. I can just hear it now... B's mom letting out her trademark WHAT!?!? And Bawpaw prolly just shaking his head. Reckon you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country outta the girl.

I'm sure we'll get an earful tomorrow...

I think the GSL will be perfect! Light enough for the hot Tx sun but not hawk bait! OH and since we're buds...I'm stealing the brick perch ides...just so you know!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom