Supposed to be cream legbar, but...

Pics

thatgirlmaude

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
I purchased two chicks a couple of weeks ago, they are supposed to be cream legbar, but their combs are definitely not single combs. The lady I got them from hatched the eggs, but they were acquired from someone else. I mentioned maybe some eggs got mixed up or a cross happened, but she claimed she saw the parents and was even able to auto-sex them when they hatched. I’m not sure about the last statement because judging by the size and color of the comb on one of them compared to the other, I’m fairly certain it’s a little roo. Can anyone help me identify what I might have or tell me what kind of comb they have? They are roughly 5 weeks old and the pictures I’m posting are of the suspected roo. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 0DE57D45-5DC7-419F-A0F2-1F2091FC0DC5.jpeg
    0DE57D45-5DC7-419F-A0F2-1F2091FC0DC5.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 9E967895-EAEB-4993-817B-2CCD72ED55F2.jpeg
    9E967895-EAEB-4993-817B-2CCD72ED55F2.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 86
I agree with that it is a cockerel and definitely not a Creme Legbars. I have three full blooded pullets that are almost at POL at 19 weeks. He doesn’t really even resemble them much at all. Sorry. I will try to attach some good pictures. My flock has nine members. Three black Orpingtons, three Swedish Flower hens which have lots of white and black in them also and the. My Legbars look like large pheasants. Hope these help.
Yes, the comb threw me because we have a cream legbar hen and just hatched some eggs, all with single combs and differences in feathers from the ones I purchased. Little mystery chicks, I guess.

Our Creme Legbars are so gentle and sweet. They have never been difficult. They don’t always like to be caught right off but usually they give in quickly enough. They are easy going and loved by the other hens. They have done so well in the heat here this summer in MS and I have been so thrilled with them. If they lay well and remain healthy I will always have some of them if I can. They are just nice to the others and I think will be easy to integrate with new ones if I ever want to add new chicks I don’t think the older Legbar hens will give me or them any trouble.
We initially had two pullets and one of them didn’t make it, but the one who survived is one of our favorites! She’s our pretty Penny and definitely agree with how sweet and docile they are, that’s why we want more. The only chicks we were able to hatch are little cockerels, so that’s why I purchased the two “pullets” that have turned out not to even be legbars lol. In my defense, before their feathers started really coming in they looked very similar, tho I did notice the comb area was a bit different. It’s become a lot more apparent since then, obviously.

Do you know if the fluffy cheeks are pretty prevalent in Easter eggers? We have two and I compared their combs to the little chicks because I thought possibly they could at least be mixed, but every Easter egger I’ve seen has fluffy cheeks and I don’t know if mixing with another breed would affect that.

"Easter Egger" just means it's supposed to lay blue or green eggs--they already tend to be somewhat mixed.

A lot of Easter Eggers are wanna-be Ameraucanas, so they often have fluffy cheeks. But they don't always have them. The last time I ordered some, I got 4 with fluffy cheeks and 1 without.

Yes, crossing Easter Egger with something increases the chance of getting one without the fluffy cheeks.

Agree. It's a cockerel and not a single comb or a legbar.
Disagree that it is a silkie mix. Nothing points to that.

Back
Top Bottom