Supposed To Be Solid Blue Wyandotte Pullet... True?

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Of my 3 little pullet chicks, the Wyandotte is a week older. But lately I've been having doubts about "Blueberry", now 11 weeks old. We're not allowed to have roosters in city limits, plus I wouldn't want to deal with one anyway. I think my heart is broken! I just lost 2 hens over the last 6 months and I don't want to lose another one just because it's a boy.

I've heard that some wyandottes mature sooner than other breeds... or maybe I'm in denial. And now I'm not even sure it's a wyandotte because of the dark legs.
Thoughts???

3 weeks old:
3wks.jpg

4 weeks
4wks.jpg

11 weeks
IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg

20180716_205912.jpg

I'm with @sourland on this one. There wouldn't be male saddle feathers for another week or two, but there aren't the typical blue cockerel wing bars... but the comb and wattles are very developed and colored for a pullet. I'd give it a few more weeks. If the male saddle feathers start popping out, its a boy. If they don't, its a pullet.

Agree with sourland. This one could go either way. The legs aren't particularly thick, so that's one point on the side of it being a pullet. But those wattles are mighty big and red for 11 weeks. I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer to know for sure.

Also, I think it is a Wyandotte. Dark legs often occur in the black and blue varieties. It just means this one doesn't completely match the breed standard. And the legs could lighten later on.

Wow, thanks for your super fast replies!
I'm 5o/50 on this bird. Nothing in the feathering indicates cockerel, but that is early comb development. Have a 'Plan B' in mind just in case.
Really? I thought those looked like some pointy boy feathers on the neck.

I'm with @sourland on this one. There wouldn't be male saddle feathers for another week or two, but there aren't the typical blue cockerel wing bars... but the comb and wattles are very developed and colored for a pullet. I'd give it a few more weeks. If the male saddle feathers start popping out, its a boy. If they don't, its a pullet.
What are blue wing bars? Do you have a picture so I can keep a lookout?

Agree with sourland. This one could go either way. The legs aren't particularly thick, so that's one point on the side of it being a pullet. But those wattles are mighty big and red for 11 weeks. I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer to know for sure.

Also, I think it is a Wyandotte. Dark legs often occur in the black and blue varieties. It just means this one doesn't completely match the breed standard. And the legs could lighten later on.
I know! Those waddles are scaring me. The legs started out yellow and became a lot darker over the last few weeks.
But I will try to hold out hope for a while longer :fl

Wow, thanks for your super fast replies!

Really? I thought those looked like some pointy boy feathers on the neck.

What are blue wing bars? Do you have a picture so I can keep a lookout?

I know! Those waddles are scaring me. The legs started out yellow and became a lot darker over the last few weeks.
But I will try to hold out hope for a while longer :fl

Much like cockerels or roosters of other breeds will develop brick red wing bars, a blue cockerel or rooster will develop darker 'blue' bars on their wings. This is a blue ameraucana I found on google. Notice how he has darker 'blue' on his wing shoulders and (in this case) his hackles as well? That's what I'm talking about there...
Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom