Surprise blue chick

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
So tonight when I went out to my Cochin coop I was surprised by a chick. Accidentally found her while searching my silkies nest. Her eggs are not due for another 9 days. My earliest clutch is due Saturday by my Mottled hen. Hmmm!! I'm assuming this just happened to be an early chick that just happened to be in the one egg that got stolen. Super strange!!

Anyway, she's blue. I've never had a blue pop up from my girls. The rooster is a mottled with a lot of gold (I breed for fun so I think he's gorgeous. Will I get reemed in this group?). He covers two mottled, a red, a buff and a gold laced hen plus a splash frizzle silkie/cochin mix and a white silkie. Any idea where a blue chick would have came from?
IMG_5045.JPG
IMG_5047.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG
IMG_4911.JPG

Do you have a picture of the chick? The light colored bird to the far right of the bottom picture looks like it might be splash, in which case it could definitely throw a blue chick.

The blue chick came from your splash hen. Black x splash results in all blue offspring.

She is a splash. My husband mentioned her and I think he was right. I didn't get a picture of the chick because I had to quickly sneak her under another hen. It was a tense moment as I wasn't expecting her at all. I'll get a picture in the morning and post it when I check on her.
Do you have a picture of the chick? The light colored bird to the far right of the bottom picture looks like it might be splash, in which case it could definitely throw a blue chick.

Well, we now have two blues. Here's one of them. The other is a newborn and still under mama.
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG

Back
Top Bottom