Surprise in the morning egg gathering!

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
What a surprise the other morning finding this little gem!

No idea which hen. As far as I know all 9 of my hens have been steadily laying since late summer.

The other egg is about the size from most of the hens, but some are considerably larger. Not double yolks either. 20211107_124721.jpg

Attachments

• 20211107_124636.jpg
    20211107_124636.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 1
As far as I know all 9 of my hens have been steadily laying since late summer.
Could be a new pullet laying.
Could just be a fluke.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

Thank you for your reply.
I finally decided to crack it open today. I noticed that it was heavier than expected for such a small egg. The shell was quite thick; there was a yolk that was not cohesive, just a mass of yellow surrounded by the albumen.

Cara

Thank you for your reply.
I finally decided to crack it open today. I noticed that it was heavier than expected for such a small egg. The shell was quite thick; there was a yolk that was not cohesive, just a mass of yellow surrounded by the albumen.

Cara
Not sure what could cause that yolk.

Back
Top Bottom