Surprise, surprise, someone is laying blue eggs

I probably will have to say straight up Easter Egger which could be anything right 😄...or Olive Egger
Easter egger or Olive egger. The only difference is the breed of bird crossed with the blue egg layer. A bird who lays a dark brown egg crossed with a blue egg layer will make the egg greener. You probably know this. I'm just rambling.

If I had to guess, I would say that your copper marans is really an olive egger. She looks a lot like my olive egger Hazel
IMG_20210502_163431834~2.jpg

If I had to guess, I would say that your copper marans is really an olive egger. She looks a lot like my olive egger HazelView attachment 2806619
That was unexpected. I didn't even question that potential, though if they get one breed wrong then for sure 2 or more could be wrong. As I got some from a feed store, I'm not surprised about those, but the Marans were the only ones I felt really sure about...well except for the white birds that kept growing as fast as my Pekin drake

🤔 I could be wrong, but my neighbor has Sapphire Gems and yours looks just like them. You could stake out the nest boxes for a couple of days😉. I resorted to that last year when I was trying to figure out who was laying which egg. We are supposed to have 2 Easter eggers and 3 Olive eggers. Turns out that 2 of them lay light brown eggs, 1 lays dark khaki eggs, 1 light green eggs, and Hazel lays a light to medium olive egg.

If I had to guess, I would say that your copper marans is really an olive egger. She looks a lot like my olive egger HazelView attachment 2806619
20210710_102018.jpg

I’d bet my dog that it’s the ‘Welsummer.’
I know it’s her.
She’s not a welsummer anyways with those earlobes.
I've never looked at her earlobes. I will have to look at her earlobes, the ?blue somethings (really think their legs are slate rather than grass), and the marans comb ( which is small but looks like a straight comb when I look at her outside. In the pictures I can't quite tell.). What should her earlobes be? Red?

View attachment 2806633

I've never looked at her earlobes. I will have to look at her earlobes, the ?blue somethings (really think their legs are slate rather than grass), and the marans comb ( which is small but looks like a straight comb when I look at her outside. In the pictures I can't quite tell.). What should her earlobes be? Red?
Welsummers get red earlobes, correct

Okay, I have revised my "I'm sure about this" list to:

1. I'm sure this is a duck...
...or a drake
That's a drake.

I agree with TheOddOneOut about the bird in question being the Welsummer, who is probably an olive egger instead. Welsumers are often used to make olive eggers, and they can look very similar. And that bird has a heavy greenish wash to her legs, a strong indication that she isn't a pure Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom