Surprise, surprise, someone is laying blue eggs

lauraschicks

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2014
S.E. TN
I have a combo flock of 11 hens and 2 roosters. And while I have caught the Cornish Cross rooster sitting on the communal nest and clucking like a hen, I'm pretty darn sure he didn't lay these eggs. There is obviously some confusion as to what breeds I actually have.

My hens:
1 Cornish Cross
1 Welsummer
1 Ancona
2 Lavender Orpingtons
1 Buff Laced Brahma
2 Buff Columbian Brahma (I think)
1 French Black Copper Marans
2 what I thought were Sapphire Gems, but now I wonder.

Everything I've researched would indicate the Sapphire Gems are not Gems at all as everybody else should be laying some shade of brown except for the Ancona.

So to the point, can anyone suggest what breed looks like Sapphire Gems but lays blue eggs? Thanks

I can live with that. I new the lady who was telling me what breeds the chicks were didn't have a clue. I had just bought the lavender orp chicks and stopped at the feed store and of course they had a bunch of pullets there. So cute I couldn't resist 4 more chicks. Two she told me were lavender orps (didn't look like mine so knew there was a chance none were what she thought). So I bought one "Welsummer, two Lavenders, and one Ancona." The Ancona looked like an Ancona and probably is one, but I'm sure you are probably correct. So I probably got four generic layers that all started laying at four months old and except for the "Ancona" all started with double yolk eggs. Probably good I'm not looking to breed them as the roosters are mainly for protection and eye candy.😀
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hatchery hybrids. They are good birds, good layers, and usually very healthy. And you can sell their offspring, no problem, just not as purebreds. Your Ancona looks like a normal Ancona to me. They're all nice looking chickens.

That's a drake.

I agree with TheOddOneOut about the bird in question being the Welsummer, who is probably an olive egger instead. Welsumers are often used to make olive eggers, and they can look very similar. And that bird has a heavy greenish wash to her legs, a strong indication that she isn't a pure Welsummer.
I can live with that. I new the lady who was telling me what breeds the chicks were didn't have a clue. I had just bought the lavender orp chicks and stopped at the feed store and of course they had a bunch of pullets there. So cute I couldn't resist 4 more chicks. Two she told me were lavender orps (didn't look like mine so knew there was a chance none were what she thought). So I bought one "Welsummer, two Lavenders, and one Ancona." The Ancona looked like an Ancona and probably is one, but I'm sure you are probably correct. So I probably got four generic layers that all started laying at four months old and except for the "Ancona" all started with double yolk eggs. Probably good I'm not looking to breed them as the roosters are mainly for protection and eye candy.😀

Okay, I have revised my "I'm sure about this" list to:

1. I'm sure this is a duck...
...or a drake

Attachments

• 20210821_192738.jpg
    20210821_192738.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 4
In this light they do look in the realm of more olive than blue (sorry for the dirty muddy eggs. It is very wet muddy right now and they haven't learned quite where to lay yet)

Attachments

• 16295890154751842286116321000520.jpg
    16295890154751842286116321000520.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 16295890953421324760152100053716.jpg
    16295890953421324760152100053716.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom