Rural King Chicks - What are they?

maringirl5

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
So once again I feel like I have been duped by the hatchery that Rural King uses! These are my "teenagers" that are about 3 months old (born in April)
I picked out and bought 4 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Sapphire Gems and 2 Easter Eggers. One of the EE died after a week so that is why I only have 1 now. As you can see in the photos, the Marans look to me like they are Barred Rocks, some have yellow feet, some have yellow feet with slate tops. The sapphire gems are beautiful but more grey than lavender and their feet are black.I know this is a "New" breed so they may be just what they are, crosses. My Easter Egger is the bigger mystery, for a while I thought she may be a Roo, especially with the mohawk! Haha
No matter what they are, I love them but I am mostly curious about my Marans because I really, really wanted chocolate colored eggs!

Attachments

• tempImageBg4f1c.png
    tempImageBg4f1c.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 101
  • tempImageZCZNy1.png
    tempImageZCZNy1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
  • tempImagecDUwNV.png
    tempImagecDUwNV.png
    3 MB · Views: 44
  • tempImageZkT04e.png
    tempImageZkT04e.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 45
  • tempImagete6Izd.png
    tempImagete6Izd.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 47
  • tempImagerjdhoV.png
    tempImagerjdhoV.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
  • tempImage9wcKSN.png
    tempImage9wcKSN.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
  • tempImageYYgfrs.png
    tempImageYYgfrs.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 54
X2

Miss labeled chicks are usually the stores fault, not the hatcheries.
I thought that too but when I asked them at the store they said they place them directly from the labeled box into their brooders and place the info cards on the brooder. I am sure there are some mix-ups but this is definitely not the first time.

So once again I feel like I have been duped by the hatchery that Rural King uses! These are my "teenagers" that are about 3 months old (born in April)
I picked out and bought 4 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Sapphire Gems and 2 Easter Eggers. One of the EE died after a week so that is why I only have 1 now. As you can see in the photos, the Marans look to me like they are Barred Rocks, some have yellow feet, some have yellow feet with slate tops. The sapphire gems are beautiful but more grey than lavender and their feet are black.I know this is a "New" breed so they may be just what they are, crosses. My Easter Egger is the bigger mystery, for a while I thought she may be a Roo, especially with the mohawk! Haha
No matter what they are, I love them but I am mostly curious about my Marans because I really, really wanted chocolate colored eggs!
Hi, great looking flock! I’m no expert, but my Sapphire Gem was exactly that color!!!. Your Cockoo’s look like them. Mine, which I purchased at an Agway, turned out to be PR’s (feet were half gray and half yellow!) and feathers were not define like your gal! Your EE, with so many varieties out there, might be one and only her egg will tell😅

The barred birds do look like they are probably barred rocks. Hoover's cuckoo marans are clean legged, but they have white legs, not yellow.

Everything else seems to be "as advertised." Saphire gems are blue, not lavender, so your girls are the correct color for that breed. And Easter egger is a catchall phrase for mixed breed chickens that have a strong likelihood to have at least one blue egg gene. It used to mean an Ameraucana or Araucana mix, but since legbars have been important and gained popularity they are being used about as often in easter egger breeding pens.

Back
Top Bottom