Surprise, surprise, someone is laying blue eggs

If I had to guess, I would say that your copper marans is really an olive egger. She looks a lot like my olive egger HazelView attachment 2806619
20210710_102018.jpg

I’d bet my dog that it’s the ‘Welsummer.’
I know it’s her.
She’s not a welsummer anyways with those earlobes.
I've never looked at her earlobes. I will have to look at her earlobes, the ?blue somethings (really think their legs are slate rather than grass), and the marans comb ( which is small but looks like a straight comb when I look at her outside. In the pictures I can't quite tell.). What should her earlobes be? Red?

Okay, I have revised my "I'm sure about this" list to:

1. I'm sure this is a duck...
...or a drake
That's a drake.

I agree with TheOddOneOut about the bird in question being the Welsummer, who is probably an olive egger instead. Welsumers are often used to make olive eggers, and they can look very similar. And that bird has a heavy greenish wash to her legs, a strong indication that she isn't a pure Welsummer.

I think this one may be your green egg layer if this is a crest I am seeing. Is it? If so then this is a sapphire olive egger and not a sapphire gem. 🙂 View attachment 2807010
I'm going to have to look up the crest part. I'm not edumacated about that. But it will be fun to learn. But what's going to be truly funny is when someone tells me the Cornish Crosses are really Leghorns.🤣

Attachments

• 20210821_192644.jpg
    20210821_192644.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm going to have to look up the crest part. I'm not edumacated about that. But it will be fun to learn. But what's going to be truly funny is when someone tells me the Cornish Crosses are really Leghorns.🤣
The crest is the part I circled with blue. I can not tell for sure from the photo. This is like a little tuft of extra feathers. Here is a photo from the internet that shows it better.
sapphire_olive_egger_1_ (2).jpg

The crest is the part I circled with blue. I can not tell for sure from the photo. This is like a little tuft of extra feathers. Here is a photo from the internet that shows it better.View attachment 2807012
Oh duh on me. You're talking about the feathers on top of her head. I thought you were saying a crest on or around the eyes. I see what you mean now. Chalk it up to fatigue. I do know about crests, e.g. crested cream legbars... I'll try to look when the sun is up and see if either of the Sapphire Prairie Gembelles are crested.

I’m betting your “welsummer” is actually a brown leghorn/cream legbar EE hybrid.
Here is my welsummer. Yours looks different, and I can't put my finger on what is different (not enuff coffee yet).
And speckled sussex.
20210601_093151.jpg
20210806_133705.jpg
20210806_133701.jpg

Attachments

• 20210601_093206.jpg
    20210601_093206.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210723_094122.jpg
    20210723_094122.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 5

Back