Surprise this morning!!

Terridab

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
Lakeville, PA
I have a broody cochin bantam that I could not break her out of her broodiness so I just have her two egss and let her sit. They were not her eggs. I have bantam rooster but he is small and I didn't thinks he
was able to "reach" the standard size hens, so I though the egg were not fertile.....
lau.gif
wrong! I checked on my broody hen every morning to make sure she eats.This after noon on my egg run, to my surprise was a tiny adorable black chick!!!!
ep.gif
Now I have her and her nest with the chick in the house because I'm afraid the other 10 hers will trample on the baby chick. I hope he/she makes it ... so cute. Pictures to follow if all goes well!!!

What happened to the other egg?

If you have plenty of space, it's usually best to leave momma and chicks in with the rest of the flock. Momma will look out for the baby, no one will mess with her or her offspring. The hen raising the chick in the flock means everyone learns to get along as they go, you don't have problems bringing momma or the baby back in later. It should be fine to keep them separate for a few days if you want, but I'd put her back as soon as possible. Make sure your feeder and waterer are accessible to the baby.

Other egg has not hatched , It is still with her. And thank you for advise, I will keep her separted for
2-3 days and then put her back with the flock. The chick is just sooo small!

Back
Top Bottom