Survey about your CHICKENS!!!

What made you choose your kinds of chickens?

I really wanted something that was cold hardy.
I wanted a rose/small comb so there would be no worry about frostbite
I wanted SWEET and CALM chickens
I wanted them to lay well
I wanted them to be pretty
I preferred brown eggs

This resulted in Brahma's But I had to buy them straight run, and then I was worried that they would end up with too many males, so I bought 4 EE pullets too.

I now have 4 Maran chicks, 4 Welsummer chicks, and 4 EE chicks. I got them because someone else had canceled their order, and I wanted Welsummers because they lay a large dark brown egg.

I have ordered some chicks that haven't arrived yet. I decided to try a Faverolle since they sound as if they are very sweet, but lay better than the Brahmas.

Any regrets"
The Brahma rooster was just TOO big! He was so heavy that after awhile all of the hems started to loose feathers, even though it was one rooster to 10 hens. I have ordered a bantam Brahma rooster to be my rooster. I do think that the Brahmas have great personalities. I am a bit disappointed with the tiny eggs my Brahmas produce.

The EEs are nice, I really think that the Brahmas help to calm them down some, otherwise they are a bit flighty. They lay a larger egg than the Brahma, and lay more per week.

The Marans seem to peck on the other chicks more, they seem a bit flighty, and simply not very friendly. I am disappointed with their personality.

The Welsummer chicks are so much sweeter and less 'picky' than the Marans, but they are still a bit flighty.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why? Just as I mentioned above, the Brahma rooster was too heavy for the hens. I am trying again with some bantam roosters and see how that goes. Actually, the personality of my Brahma hens was much nicer than that of the Brahma roosters I had. I am hoping that the Bantam version rooster will be as nice as my full size hens.

What made you choose a particular breed of chicken?
jumpy.gif

Friendliness

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting?
hit.gif

NEVER!!!
th.gif

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock?
love.gif

About everything....
Iowa Blues
Brabanters
Sultans
Welsummers
Barnevelders
Self Blue OEGB
Pheonix
Yokohama
AND A WHOLE LOT MORE!!
smile.png

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?
old.gif

I like Yokohama Roosters, thats about the only gender influenced answer..
smile.png

Rhode Island Reds for egg production, SexLink for egg production, Plymouth Barred Rock for gentleness and egg production, Americauna for intelligence and colorful egg basket, Silver Laced Wyandotte for gentleness, shape and feather color, Sumatra for variety. Bantams for the garden, OEGB for enjoyment, Cochin Bantams for a brooder and a gentle roo. Guinea Fowl for variety and warning alarms.

The black SexLinks. Dumbest meanest birds of the flock.

Any bantams like frizzles, black cochins, seramas. Buff Orpingtons.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why?
Cochin Roosters and Hens: Make gentle roos and good brooders.

read that it was a good layer, and decent meat bird as well, we were going for a dual purpose breed with the reds that we got. and they looked the best out of the ones at good ole TSC. then when we got the "araucanas" (EE's) and Barnevelders, we were going for egg color and feather pattern diversity in the flock

nope, not yet at least

my son is begging to get a chicken that lays white eggs, but we would like to get some cochins, and maybe a polish or two. we have the working flock, now we want some more for just looks lol

I have a Rhode Island Red, Golden Sex Link, Easter Egger, and an Araucana

I had one leg horn,she was mean and she stressed herself out to the point it killed her

I dont know what type it is, but it is smooth until the head, it had crazy donald trumb type hair/feathers..they are pretty neat looking:p

Let's see this is like taking inventory.

What do I have?

Blue Ameraucana hen. 10 months old, has yet to lay an egg, but she is pretty
EE hen just over a year old, lays every other day. I love her.
Black Star Hen... she is 7 months old and lays about 4-5 eggs a week. Not too friendly but nice.
Cuckoo Maran's pullet, 20 weeks old, no eggs yet.
Speckled Sussex pullet, 20 weeks old... 1 egg in the past two weeks.
CA White Leghorn pullet, 20 weeks old, no eggs yet.
3 Wheaten Ameraucana pullets. 20 weeks. They are gorgeous... can't wait to start getting eggs.

The above are in the coop.
=========================

In the roo pen are

Blue Ameraucana... pretty, crows, has finally gotten the dance down, but we had to separate the roos cuz the hens were so stressed from the heat.
Golden Cuckoo Maran's... he is gorgeous once the Maran pullet starts laying I'm putting him with her and we'll begin to incubate!
Partridge Cochin. He is HUGE. A friend gave him to me. We'll probably put him with the black star, the speckled sussex, and the CA white just to see what kind of designer chicks he will give us.

-----------------------------------------------------

in the Juvie pen

1, 14 week old dark black and gold EE pullet...

the remainder are all 11 weeks... soon to be 12.

3 Splash Ameraucanas. I'm guessing 2 pullets, one roo.
2 Black Ameraucana cockerels... one is stunning and we may keep him, the other to freezer camp.
1 Black 'laced' Ameraucana pullet she's pretty
1 Blue Ameraucana pullet... gorgeous
1 EE cockerel.. has a blue head and white body... son of Mahonri wants to breed him to a EE pullet that looks identical.
2 Wheaten Ameraucana pullets. BEAUTIFUL... sister's to the 3 pullets in the coop.
1 Salmon Faverolle pullet
1 Delware X Light Brown Leghorn pullet... Miss Jayne designer pullet. She really is gorgeous.
1 blue head/ white body EE pullet
1 'CA white" EE pullet (very pretty bird)
1 Buff orpinton pullet
1 Delware pullet... quite stunning, I've got to get some pics
1 Cinnamon Queen pullet. I love this bird & by September, she will be an egg laying machine
1 Ancona pullet... probably has the most personality of any of my birds but is EXTREMELY flighty, but very fun to watch.

That's 31... I'm 11 over the limit.
If I get rid of 5 roos it would bring me down to 26... and that's workable with my coop and two pens.

I love the Ameraucanas... I just love the way they look and the blue eggs.

I feel badly about the RIR, Partridge Rock and Leghorn that I lost to the heat.

I wouldn't mind having a pair of blue/ white topped polish.

I raise Standard Dark Cornish (SDC). I like that they are powerful, tight feathered, and despite looking so imposing are very sweet. I like that they are an older breed.

I've personally have had only the SDC. My sister has had many breeds. My least favorite were the Standard Cochins--way too fluffy, not my thing at all.

I would raise MGB--but my sister raises those and we don't compete against each other so those are out. I am just going to concentrate on adding a few new color varieties to the Cornish for now.

Asil- Because they are so sweet and protects the hens very well.

Seramas- Because theres not an aggressive bone in their body lol

White leghorn- She's my favorite (She almost died) She think shes a human lol

EE- Roo attacked the crap out of me and hen ws very skittish

Silkies- Evil lol they were mean
roll.png

Sumatras, Modern games, polish, Dark Cornish, and some Marans
big_smile.png

At first I chose Rocks because my Great Grandmother had them and I loved them.
I got EEs and Sizzles for Broodies.
Then I saw Delawares and
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Was there a chicken breed that you regretted getting? Didn't much like orps I got or the BA's.

What other breeds do you want to add to your flock? Still working on adding Marans and wheaten Ameraucana.

For any of the above questions, if the gender of the bird has affected/does affect your answers, can you explain why? Sizzles crow really funny and the hens are super broody which makes both sexes amusing and useful.

My Rocks went broody so I didn't end up needing either EEs or Sizzles. The sizzles stayed for entertainment value.

Silkies and Mottled Cochins- because have just fallen in love with them and have plans for a project of crossing the two for blue and black mottled silkies

Probably a lot of standards....just because $ is harder and harder to come by and they eat A LOT lol

Theres several breeds I'd love to be raising right now, but with money constraints im happy staying with the Silkies and mottled cochins... AND im getting a few pairs of seramas
tongue.png

Nope... Roosters are my favorite... if roos layed eggs I'd be in heaven as that's all i'd probably have lol
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom