SURVEY: Tumors, lymphoid leukosis, myeloid leukosis: how widespread?

exop

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 10, 2009
NW Indiana
Hi, what has your experience been with tumors or cancerous disease in your poultry?

What proportion of your birds have been affected? What were their symptoms? Which breeds of birds were you raising?

At what age (approximately) were they affected, were they from a hatchery, hatching egg or your own flock? What year or decade was it?

There are a lot of different tumor-causing viruses, some new to the U.S. in the 1990s. They're supposed to be very widespread in the chicken population. I'm trying to get an idea of what is out there, what's been happening the last few years, and how bad is it: how many birds in a flock are typically affected, and are some breeds affected worse than others?

Best - exop

Forgot to add,

What type of tumors were there - where were they located on the chicken? Did you have a necropsy or have a vet look at it?

How virulent was it - did a lot of chickens get it? Did it seem to spread from bird to bird at all? What age groups were affected?

Best - exop

Hi - opening up the survey for 2010. Nobody responded last year
hmm.png
That might be good news... not many tumors out there?

Anyway, I hope to hear from other members; this is a topic which is worth worrying about.

Best - exop

Never had those illnesses in my flock. The only things we've dealt with over the years have been bumblefoot and internal laying/false laying/ovarian infections. I don't know how many folks actually have their birds tested when they die of things of that nature.

Bumping thread.

I have a chicken with suspected LL (Lymphoid Leukosis). She is not dead yet, so she has not had an autopsy so we don't know how many tumours she has. My other three chickens have no symptoms of LL like she does. She is a Plymouth Rock and she has almost all of the symptoms of LL: very weak, pale, no egg production, runny green poo, very thin. We're taking her to a vet next Tuesday

Back
Top Bottom