Survival Of The Fittest If So Wyandotts Are Doomed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chayton, Jan 28, 2010.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    In November I hatched 10 Black Copper Marans and 10 Ameracunas. After 5 weeks I put them outside in the run with a coop. If a butterfly flew over them they all hauled butt to the coop. In December I hatched a dozen Silver Laced Wyandotts, placed them outside in the smae run/coop(the BCM's & Ameracunas moved to new diggs) I came home at lunch yesterday to find a huge red tailed hawk sitting on the top of the coop waiting to select which chick he wanted for lunch. The chicks were having a grand time scratching and running around the pen, totaly ignorant of what was about to happen.

How can the Wyandotts be so STUPID and the BCM's & Americaunas be so aware. If I wouldnt have come home the hawk would have had a feast, probably with an audience of the other chicks.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sorry, no experience with any of these breeds but enjoyed your post.

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I've noticed that my silver laced wyandottes are not the sharpest knives in the drawer but your observation may be biased by the fact the wyandotte chicks were younger than your other chicks when exposed to danger. If the hawk got one of them and the rest were still oblivious to the threat then I would agree that you have some 'mentally challanged' birds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That's how hawks operate. They sit still, waiting for the right opportunity, while the chickens forget the hawk is there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by