Surviving Minnesota!

Morning . Well we wore ourselves out yesterday . Still more to do but the end is near . I think I will bow hunt this morning . Dumpster due today also . Time to start hunting and still some firewood to cut . I just move from one thing to another .

Good morning everyone! Got up to do chores had to wear the headlamp so that I wouldn't go off the toad when riding my bike down
1f602.png
I didn't fill up the sled or metal waterer since it was really dark and its supposed to be windy today, so I just put out a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with water.
I opened the door for the birds, no one came out they were all still sleeping. So I turned all the lights on and shooed the 2 roosters out and fed them some sweet feed, whole corn, and oats mixed together along with some pumpkin guts from a pumpkin my younger sister carved yesterday right outside the coop. The 2 ducks came out along with a silkie and a few layers.
Fed and watered the cochins, right now I have 2. blue frizzle cockerel with the blue pullet from Jamie Matts, 1. and the black cockerel from Jamie Matts with my first blue pullet. Waiting for eggs from pair 1, will the cockerel being young decrease fertility?

Last volleyball practice of the year, unless I get moved up yo Varsity. But if I got moved up I'd probably get murdered by some sophomores parents
1f602.png

Tomorrow is the last game also

@Momof3plustwins
I will get the video of showmanship sometime this week

Also yesterday we went to Runnings. I got 3 bags of sweet feed, 3 bags of cracked corn. 2 bags of layer feed, 2 bags of whole corn and a bag of woodchips. This should last me for 1 1/2 months. I hope.

Good morning! As expected both of the extra jumbo eggs laid yesterday were double yokers. I will have to be sure to watch that when setting eggs this Spring, no extra jumbo eggs. Twins in chickens just don't work out very well.

Watch as DH put a hole in his thumb nail with a red hot needle to relieve the pressure from all the blood underneath of the nail. A trap went off unexpectedly and caught the top of his thumb in it. Too bad it is his right hand also! He is hurting enough that it woke him up while sleeping last night. Too proud to see the doc though so it was a home cure today.

Siggie. Your birds! did the cedar waxwings look drunk after their berries? I hear they get intoxicated on fermented fruit trees this time of year.
Not sure but they were just going crazy over them!

Morning . Now that I have the win I will add more . Feel fine . Neck just a little stiff . Wife will probably keep me away from the roof today . Grandson coming after work to help me for the weekend . So I feel lucky .
I thought we already told you that at our age we don't bounce as well anymore! Glad you are ok!!

Does anybody use a solar powered coop light? I'm going to try and supplement lighting in the coop for a few extra months and am on the search for an easy method. Otherwise I thought about hanging up a small strand of x-mas lights. And it's best to add light in the morning, correct?

........these are the things I think about when baby doesn't want to sleep
th.gif
I have a small solar lamp that stays lit about 4-6 hours after dark if I solar charge it but if I charge it in the house it stays lit for like 8 hours (too much) not sure if it is bright enough to keep them laying though? It worked well when they were babies and afraid to go in the coop...

Home with a sick little boy today. Eli's fever came back last night 102.5. So he is spending the day at home. We are writing letters to friends that moved away. Good practice for a 1st grader. Too bad his mom is a teacher. Even sick days are for learning, poor kid!
Hope your little guy is feeling better :)

I HATE Menards.

I just got off the phone with them to order a Ceiling Grid System for my little bathroom project. I have one of my rebate cards waiting to reduce the cost of it all. I want everything to be bundled up and ready for me to pick up tomorrow. I want to save time and have them pick it and put it together. I pick it up and then pay for it. After calling back because I was accidently hung up on, and then waiting and listening in the background while somebody else got sub par service. I finally got the person back on the phone who then took my order. They then tell me I would need to pay in full now before they would get it ready for me. I told them I'd like to pay tomorrow with cash and use my rebate card.

No Go.
I said Thanks sarcastically and hung up. What has happened to good service at this s-show of a business? And they've got you by the cajones because they ARE cheaper than other places. You get what you pay for folks.
Menards sucks! but like everyone says...it's the cheapest!

Vaccinated, ear tagged and wormed 28 steers this morning. Daughter shot a few slugs, had a conversation with 2 new buff orpington about no eggs yet. Couple loads of laundry done and orange is hanging on the line. May smell of skunk but at least it will mask the human scent.
wow....I'm tired just reading your post.... you go girl!

Snapped this picture of my SS today. I've grown to love the excessively speckled look to her:

such a pretty bird!

I had a "Big Blue" also, but he is gone now. Yours is beautiful! His color is amazing!

As for the chippy, you better watch out, someone on here likes to squish them like toothpaste and tan them for their hides
gig.gif
Thanks! The chippy is like a pet, he has no fear of us and comes around to be fed sunflower seeds. He has a small white tuft on his tail (that is way too short for a chippy) so I think something almost got him at some point

Just a few pics... And Mr. T for @memphis

Nice pics! that turkey is amazing!

Morning . Well we wore ourselves out yesterday . Still more to do but the end is near . I think I will bow hunt this morning . Dumpster due today also . Time to start hunting and still some firewood to cut . I just move from one thing to another .

You are preaching my life... After the garage wAs done DW thought things would slow down.... Too many more things to catch up on. Things do slow down once the snow falls though

We are like squirrels prepping for winter. It's a mad scurry.

I want to clean out my garage before winter hits. Get things up off the floor. It's an attached garage and the snow from the vehicles melt in there. And it's settled to the wrong side so it's like a swimming pool in there sometimes after a snow. I know DH needs to get some of the cement leveler put in there. That would help a ton. It just needs a good going through to have a bunch of stuff thrown away too.

Gray and overcast again today. Just a little bit of blue sky would be nice.

Hey all,

Today is the first day that I started thinking Global warming has failed us again and we are going to have another winter. I would not call it cold out, but the feel of winter is in the air here in the banana belt.

I let "blue" the turkey hen out of her cage because she was so unhappy in it. I am letting her wander around the pole barn with Bert. She is still upset and vocal about it. I moved some birds around, trying to get my "line up" for New Ulm.

I have decided to not take one of the PC pullets. Instead I have brought the other PC hen inside and Ed. I hate to say it, but I think EJB did a better job on breeding and raising Ed than I did on Ed's kids. I am going to let a judge look at him and see what happens. He is broader and darker colored in the chest/hackles. There are no red spots on his front. I am guessing I got them from the hens or I just picked the wrong birds to keep. I have one that looks amazingly like Ed, but I am kind of keeping him for EJB or myself for breeding. He is way too wild to go into a cage for a show at this time. EJB do not worry about the quality rooster you will get, Mike Gilbert said a person would be happy breeding either of the roosters I showed in Hutch. I just want to give you the best one I can, to thank you for all you have done for me....BTW If you guys want a knowledgeable mentor that is super helpful you can not go wrong with EJB, Jerry or Minnie. Just so some of you do not think I have went soft, I will be selling the rooster back to EJB at 3 times what I paid for it.

I got my coop cleaned, the nest boxes cleaned and new chips in. Last night the chickens were afraid to enter the coop. It is amazing what small changes will scare them.

Snuggles pecked Judy last night, she started making a scene saying Snuggles had become mean and did not like her anymore. I went and picked him up with no problems. Later when I put new water in his cage, he pecked at my sleeves, and the snaps on them. I then looked at Judy's hands she had some girly gloves on with blue sequence on them. I think he was just pecking at the shiny things.

I am not going to get much done today, it is another take Judy to the Dr day. (there seems to be 4-5 of those a week now.

Well, Coffee break is over time to get back outside for an hour...

OH and BC.... I do not have the seminars to benefit me. I do them to benefit you guys. I just happen to find holding them here is the most convenient place in the state for everyone. BTW Toad fence class is still on...

Back
Top Bottom