Surviving Minnesota!

Good sized egg there for a first Coffee. Usually first eggs are small. She sounds just so cute and sweet. I love a beautifully socialized hen. Congratulations on the first. It never gets old either. Finding those eggs in the nests....

Today my daughter and I went for a cross country ski. The sun was low in the sky in the woods and my 13 year old marvelled at the beauty out there. I love when they see those beautiful subtle things. We talked and talked. She told me when she moves away she will always come home for a ski with her mom. My heart is full.

Just got home from dinner with my pig farmer friend down the road. He told me that if I want piglets next year I can have them for $50 a head and he can get them for us. The better news is that DW was sitting next to me and was nodding her head and looking excited... Like she seems ok with it! Guess who may be getting pigs next year! I've have the plan in my head but it had been stashed in the 2-4 year plan folder. I know where I want them and how I will keep them etc

Good sized egg there for a first Coffee. Usually first eggs are small. She sounds just so cute and sweet. I love a beautifully socialized hen. Congratulations on the first. It never gets old either. Finding those eggs in the nests....

Today my daughter and I went for a cross country ski. The sun was low in the sky in the woods and my 13 year old marvelled at the beauty out there. I love when they see those beautiful subtle things. We talked and talked. She told me when she moves away she will always come home for a ski with her mom. My heart is full.

Oh how wonderful to have that time with your daughter!
hugs.gif

Just got home from dinner with my pig farmer friend down the road. He told me that if I want piglets next year I can have them for $50 a head and he can get them for us. The better news is that DW was sitting next to me and was nodding her head and looking excited... Like she seems ok with it! Guess who may be getting pigs next year! I've have the plan in my head but it had been stashed in the 2-4 year plan folder. I know where I want them and how I will keep them etc
Yey! Congrats on the piglets!
wink.png

Last edited:
Ralphie, reading that intercommunication between you and the craigslist responder was priceless. What a laugh I had.

Klop, I suspect that you know this but will relate it in any case. Pigs need a very substantial enclosure, although they do respect electric fence. They also need high nutrient rations to grow to finish in a timely manner. They are good sod busters, so can be used to convert an area for new garden plot for the next season.

Well it looks like we lost a barred rock over night. I went out for morning chores and there are feathers everywhere. To frank, my first impression is, she had it coming. I give my girls ample time to get inside at night and I can't be traipsing all over the farm looking for a bird that refuses to go to bed on time every night. I frequently am chasing her out of my corn crib to go in at night and she wouldnt learn and now it cost her. Darwins theory is real... only the fittest survive.

Of course I am sad to lose a bird, especially my favorite barred rocks but it is what it is....

Well it looks like we lost a barred rock over night. I went out for morning chores and there are feathers everywhere. To frank, my first impression is, she had it coming. I give my girls ample time to get inside at night and I can't be traipsing all over the farm looking for a bird that refuses to go to bed on time every night. I frequently am chasing her out of my corn crib to go in at night and she wouldnt learn and now it cost her. Darwins theory is real... only the fittest survive.

Of course I am sad to lose a bird, especially my favorite barred rocks but it is what it is....

That will teach her, She will never do that again!

Actually sorry about that. I left a guinea out one night that was being a bellybutton, I told him/her I hope the owl gets you. Next morning, pile of feathers, I felt bad for telling it that.

Last edited:
Well it looks like we lost a barred rock over night.  I went out for morning chores and there are feathers everywhere.  To frank, my first impression is, she had it coming.  I give my girls ample time to get inside at night and I can't be traipsing all over the farm looking for a bird that refuses to go to bed on time every night.  I frequently am chasing her out of my corn crib to go in at night and she wouldnt learn and now it cost her.  Darwins theory is real... only the fittest survive.

Sorry to hear about your girl. I don't know why they wouldn't want to go in where they know if it's are. My girls are like clockwork, they even yell at another hen of she isn't fast enough coming in. Sorry about your girl :(

Back
Top Bottom