Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    looks to be a great day for it, have fun!

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Have fun on your ride Kloppers. Flocks sometimes have a unique way of making themselves more efficient for the owner. Nonetheless, Sorry about the loss of a bird.

I think I will ski again today.

3. Sorry about you losing one of your girls.

On the other hand I am super jealous of the ride. Have fun!!

4. Had a great new years up at a lake in WI with friends. It is always great to get out of town.
    [​IMG]

Sounds like it was great for all of you as well.

5 people like this.
  5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I am back! went out with my Dad. we planned on taking a short spin down to the state park and doing a few laps around it. we did that and more, clocking over 75 miles this morning. it is so nice out there!

I didnt want to spring news of the missing BR on my wife while she was still in bed this morning so i waited until i got back and she is sad :( i am sad too now. I hate losing birds. stages of grief lol... I think i will set some traps tonight and see what happens. i am not sure what took her but there lots of signs of struggle so it was quite a fight. might go look for tracks now that it is light. didnt think of that this AM.

Do birds of prey hunt at night? or am i looking for coon or coyote tracks?

Edited to add: I didnt see any blood or guts or signs the bird was ate here. Coyote tracks or dog tracks will be hard to decipher as our dogs have prints everywhere out here.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Owls will hunt at night of course. I'm curious how you keep your dogs out of any traps you set, are they live traps? It sounds like it was definitely big enough to carry her off. Terrible :(

7. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    [​IMG]

Here is a Legbar x brown leghorn cockerel . I got my Legbar start from Heidi . This should bump up laying and egg size when bred back to Legbar .

1 person likes this.
  8. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Finally settled on pear varieties . Hudar to -50 degrees , Patten zone 2 , Stacey zone 2 and Savignac zone 2 . I have a order in for scion [ grafting wood ] . Rootstocks are ordered .
    Settled on Chestnut crab and yellow transparent for apples .

Anybody growing Haskap/ honeyberries ? How about improved Saskatoons / service berry ?

9. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    So Jerry, if I understand correctly your plan is one x to leghorn (the cock bird in photo) and them him back to the Legbar hens. The intent is to produce Legbar females which lay more productively and still retain a good blue egg.

10. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Yes . Everyone seems to complain about hatchability , egg production and egg size . The first two are signs of inbreeding depression . Nobody seems to openly discuss new blood . Lots of hybrids out there . I figure using production bred brown leghorn will help . Legbar were created to be production blue layers with auto sexing .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by