Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

2. Lucky kids!! Wow! But being I have always lived in the city. A pony is something little girls always dreamed of and never got. Sad. I know.

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Anyone loose any chickens last night to the cold? Everyone make it through?

Ralphie how do your cornishX handle these colder temps? Heat or cold worse for them?

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Kloppers. I would like to thank you and everyone else that did not win the lottery for allowing me to get even more money when I win on Wednesday.

EJB I agree with you completely on global warming. I am going to buy a case of hair spray ( the stuff the greenies say is really bad) and empty them into the air. Doing my part to help global warming. I might even light my burning barrel today.

The soil I have here is so poor I cannot really grow corn on it. Even though the fields across the road produced good corn yields, this side of the road is kind of a peninsula of sugar sand deposited by the glaciers I assume. Worthless for anything except ragweed and gophers.

If I was to give Judy a present of a "pretty ear of corn" I am afraid she would bean me with it. It would not be smart of me to do it.

Rhetts the sarcasm was not dripping it froze and fell to the ground as small pebbles.

I have instituted a new policy here at the farm. I am not sure if any of you can relate to this or not. But here goes... I have no neighbors that can see most of my barnyard. When I was growing up we had an outhouse. This is all needed background so you do not think I am a Neanderthal. When I was a kid and needed to go "number 1", Dad would always say " Go over there and go" pointing to a tree, corner or something. I have continued this practice, much to my wife's displeasure, up until yesterday.

The new policy will temporarily put a stop to POUP. (Primitive Outdoor Urination Practices). After having observed the single combs and how well they do not fare in the cold and wanting to be assured no one practicing POUP here be affected in the same way. I have decreed this a POUP free zone for the foreseeable future. Judy will be happy as she has never practiced POUP to the best of my knowledge and complains when someone does. I may re-institute POUP this summer.

Now about frozen eggs, I would like to get them before they crack, I would even prefer them warm, But I doubt that will happen I am not even going to try and save any Creamette eggs for hatching this week. With the Creamettes having the worst hatch rate known to mankind, combined with the cold and freezing of the eggs. The chances of them hatching is about nil. I might as well make an omelet and enjoy them.

As far as watching football, I think I will pass. I cannot possibly relay how much I do not care, other than it ticks me off when I have to pay increased taxes for a Stadium for Millionaire Franchise owners and Millionaire players to make more money in.

If I seem gnarly today I apologize, I woke up in the middle of the night with a nasty toothache, I think I have an abscess under one of my caps. The cap seems a little loose and I suppose something got under it and decay started. Just what I wanted in the cold was a root canal......

The birds are still locked in. I have not been out yet. I will go soon. I can imagine the cold hitting the cap will be a memorable experience.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You were a little girl?

7. I can't agree more.

8. There it is!! I was worried for a sec.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Heat is really rough on them. They do ok in the cold, I have not checked on them yet. I am hoping they did fine.

Jerryse I have been looking for those pear trees you mentioned the other day online. I need to plant fruit trees this spring and I would like a half dozen pears but I cannot find those varieties. Are they only available if you graft them yourself? I was hoping to find fairly large tree to transplant. Any ideas where to look? None of the nurseries in Minnesota listed them.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Never let it be said I let you down!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by