Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
  2. **** it. Didn't get the lotto. I told the DW to get winning numbers and leave the rest. I guess she wasn't listening.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
  4. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
  5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I have arrived at tcf stadium. If you watch the game you will see me through goal posts on the open side of the stadium when they kick. I will be the one in the coat. :)I have 50 layers on and I am ready for the game!

6. Enjoy!! I may turn it on just to look for you. The one in a coat. Right?

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, you may even know the Apple Tree Guy, and if you did not irritate him in your former life he might give you a deal?
    He will have pears and apples that should work for you. Growing up as you did, you know that anyone can plant something but it takes a farmer to really grow it.
    If you have rabbits in your area winter protection of the trees is of utmost importance, as they love to chew on the bark.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am more worried about deer than rabbits. I assume I will have to put a HIGH Fence around any trees I plant.

However, a happy coincidence is the planned "High Fence Building seminar and practice session" is scheduled for early May.

I am thinking my Kids know that guy. I see he only has smaller trees. I am really hoping to get 15 -20 gallon ones that will give me fruit right away. At age and with Judy getting ornerier every year, I need something that bears fruit sooner rather than later. She may club me in my sleep with a ear of Indian corn for no apparent reason. You know how she is.

9. jerryse

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Around here deer prefer apple trees over pear for browse . I keep a 5 foot high heavy wire circle around the ones in the woods . I like pears for deer as the late types will last longer on the ground than most apples . I should try something late and hard for apples . There are few sources for the cold hardy pears . That is why I will graft my own .

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That would be a great skill set to have.

Where do you get the "base" you graft onto? How closely related do the species have to be? Can you take any old branch of an existing tree and get them to graft?

If you take a graft off am existing tree is the new tree like a young tree? Life expectancy? I ask this because of cloning problems and the cloned offspring being same biological age as the donor.

I have 2 apple tree here I like but they have started to fade lately, Could Grafting save them?

Do you know anything about "Cedar Rust" on fruit trees? is there a preventive? Cure?

I have a million more questions to ask but these will do for now, You might have to hold a seminar on grafting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by