Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Here is where I ordered my rootstocks . http://www.raintreenursery.com/Rootstocks/ For your old trees you can just buy any apple locally and graft your old tree onto it . Look up air layering . You could try that .

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

This is not a winning argument for the Muscovy's. Being closer to a goose than a duck only makes them less desirable in my considerably vast book....

That is like saying Small Pox is closer to rabies than Ebola,,.

1 person likes this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Lol

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    That cow that had the undercarriage shots I posted yesterday has drainage from her backside today. Mucus and a tinge of blood. Not a lot of drainage but we noticed it so some. Udder and teats have little to no change. Some of the other cows are harassing her. What do you think? Within the week?

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Hmmmm. She could be within a few days. There is a good chance her bag is gonna fill up over night or the next few. OR she is in hwat which I assume is oit of the question since they were confirmed bred??

6. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    You mean vet verified? I don't know. They came here with the previous owner saying they will calve in Dec or Jan. I don't know very much about them.

7. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Almost certain she is pregnant. I had a bull here who never touched them. She is way bigger than when she got here and I can see the calf moving unless she has some very serious stomach issues. :) Her teats and udder are definitely bigger than they were this summer/fall. Yeah I would place my powerball earnings that she is pregnant.

8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Yep vet verified. When u do chores in the mornings just check and see if shw has more discharge or is "bagging up". Just be careful if she does have a baby! I have seen cow try break through a steel wall to get to their babies!

9. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I am afraid of her having the baby during the night when I am not there!! And those Highlands are really bullyish!! I am afraid they will kill her calf. I was hoping to put the herefords in the barn to keep them somewhat warmer and away from the others for a bit before and after the calf comes. I would hate for her to wander off to the back pasture (which I just remembered is NOT closed off) and have the baby. I better get a move on!

10. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Oh yeah it is bad for them to calve way out in a pasture. My grandpa has never had problem with cows hurting calves but idk what u want to do. It can be best for them to calve without humans unless they are young. They aren't as restless and dont get up and down a bunch of times. But it is fun and we dont really care about that! We always want to watch calves be born. We just dont ever help the cow. I have a feeling we will help our milk cow but that is cuz she is a tiny Jersey bred to a decent sized angus. Anothee thing is Herefords are great calvers. They are so big they rarely have trouble. Herefords were my Great grandpas favorite breed and he raised beautiful registered herefords. They had a heifer that was born on the farm that my great uncle showed when he was a kid and she was so beautiful I was told. Her calves never left the farm they all stayed till he sold off all his cattle. He now passed away but I remember how much he loved his cows. Woah have u ever atarted typing and didnt realize that u got far of subject I just did that... Sorry

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by