Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I bit the bullet and put down pin shavings in the small part of the run. I didn't really want to because come spring it can be a little difficult to clean it out. The girls, especially Mother is having a hard time on the dirt. She also went to bed with an empty crop the last 2 nights, i'm wondering if she doesn't want to eat as her feet are cold and she doesn't want to stand in the dirt while eating? or if there is something wrong with her. I don't see any other signs of anything else being wrong though, she seems a little light, but that could just be me... I'll be keeping an eye on all of them really good for the next few days. I checked them on the roost tonight, their feet seemed fine. so hopefully all is well. nite all, 4 comes early. wish I could stay home so I don't have to open the chicken door so early. but, time to make the donuts as they say (until I win my retirement money on Wednesday, sorry Ralphie!)

2. [​IMG]
    Who was it that posted the beer bread recipe?
    I have to say thanks! Very good for a quick bread.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    So this am we had -15 F. The coop with flat panel on and Reflectix at -2. Birds down eating and drinking. I let them out at 1:30. At about -5F-- 12 F in the coop. Tonight at roost time, the rooster was on a low roost sitting next to high hens ... And closest to that flat panel heater. Nobody usually sleeps in that spot. I'm reinforced in my effort of adding a little heat and this inulation to make the coop just a tidge less frigid for them. It's still a cold coop but it's not as nasty as outside. I think my coop needs just a bit more of ventilation now but it's not too bad in there.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think erlibird put the first recipe up and I put the church cookbook page up.

1 person likes this.
  5. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    I have a sick pullet. It's one of my chicks (about 10 weeks old now?). I noticed she was acting "off" the other day, today she didn't come out when everyone else did.
    She is thin, and very weak, she is not even holding her wings up well, and even though she was laying on the heating pad and under the heating plate, her feet felt cold. I figured that I should probably put her down, but instead, she is now in a crate in my basement. She did drink and eat a bit once I got her in here, so maybe there is some hope.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    so the little temperature thing says -23. i didn't think it was supposed to be that cold tonight. Poor animals!

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    You're going to be so sad when I win....

You should enroll in the upcoming "Getting use to losing the Powerball". Seminar.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That looks so good!!! I might have to try it.

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Save yourself the $2 because I plan on winning it this time.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Good luck on her. You might want to scramble up some eggs for her. BC's idea, but it is a great one for getting nutrition in her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by