Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

A dog with a high play drive, which you can tell by their wanting carry something in their mouth and retrieve it is the best kind. They are easy to train and love to hunt, retrieve etc. You do not need food to motivate them just a ball.

I am kind of surprised the Vet did not know that especially about labs.

Sorry to here Sadie has an illness. I think you need some guineas to take care of the ticks. I do not think we picked more than 3 ticks off our dogs last year thanks to the Guineas.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Huh. I should have kept some syringes from my diabetic grandson when I gave him a bag full. He was visiting when he was quite young (before he had a pump) and his parents did not send enough syringes so I went begging from the pharmacy I always go to. They sold me a bag of syringes. Then a few years later he jumped in a pool with his pump on. His family was here for the weekend and I kept seeing his Dad working on this pump to get it dried out. Dah! I was going up to bed and realized I had all those syringes. Nate said "Grma - you have needles?! I love needles!" Problem solved for that night. I gave him the rest to use til the pump was fixed.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Mine is not a medical one, I got it at Cub with some injectable seasoning. The hole is on the side not the end.

4. lvie

Are you gonna tell him or wait and ask forgiveness? LOL - in our family we tend to ask forgiveness because if we discuss it beforehand the answer is 'NO.' Why is it that men think that is cooperation? That they can say no to everything their DW want/need?

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

WAIT WAIT!!

Why is it a DW can say NO to everything a man wants and call it discussed and compromised?

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    She can retrieve for days and days and never tire of it. Craig said she swam 120 yards on a retrieve and the duck must have dove....She was 5 months old. He'd never seen anything like that ever. I've never seen such a determined little thing. She weighs 44 lbs and she is solid fortitude. All our previous labs have been 70-80 lb.ers. Docile and like butter. This one has a racing stripe down the middle and by george she is perpetual motion. LOL. Kind of cracks me up. I think the outcome on this will be different...pray to God. But she has me a worried puppy Momma right now. That's for sure.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I believe they call them Basting injectors or something....LOL.

I was able to get syringes in the vet supply area at L & M and from a Online vet supply. But yes, generally pharmacy wants scripts for them.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    She sounds just like my OLD white lab. Except mine pushes 80 pounds. When I am tossing a dummy for her, or shooting one ( I have one of those dummy throwers you use a 22 shell in to throw it a couple hundred yards.) I have to stop, or she would kill herself chasing it and retrieving it.

Her pup the Black one, Does 2-3 retrieves and thinks it is time for a beer.

9. lvie

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

So your saying I use as baster in my bator to wet my eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by