Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I hope everyone has their suntan lotion ready for the big warm-up today! I put a heat lamp in the coop yesterday (Don't look @Bogtown Chick ) and all of the chickens could care less. Only the two young Roosters spent time near it. Pffffft. Whatever. Ungrateful feathered dinosaurs.

2. MinnesotaNice

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Grandma's are amazing aren't they? Did she always keep chickens?

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    that is how mine act too,, except for a couple whimps that sit under it.

Ivie the syringe is for adding water to the incubator. When it gets down to 10-12% moisture I put 5 ccs's of water in the incubator. with the syringe I can do it through the vents without opening the incubator.

PS it is the same syringe I use to fill their breasts with butter and seasoning when they become dinner guests.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

Nope only for a few years. But there was a turkey that showed up at her and my grandpas place and it stayed for a long time. They only had CX when they lived on a big hill by dunton locks. And they sold that because of her arthritis because she couldn't get up the steps that good anymore. She is the toughest lady I have ever met. She battled cancer for 9 years and passed away watching "her" birds. That id the one time the indigo buntings came is the day she died. Theu were her favorite birds. But anyways she and my great grandpa are where I got my love for animals and poultry from. Now I help my grandpa alot at his place. He has the same love for animals I do.

3 people like this.
  5. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Can't wait to start collecting my own hatching eggs!! About 1 more month or so until they get split up. Still have to figure that part out

6. MinnesotaNice

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    Incubating is addicting. After the area beneath our kitchen table looked like a miracle of birth center last October, hubby said NO. What does he know....

1 person likes this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    LOL. @MinnesotaNice you may as well shut 'er down.

Well Change of plans. Sadie had a rough night last night. she was up at 1:00AM pacing/hopping on the bed between Craig and I. I checked to see if she needed potty then put her in her kennel so we could sleep. I heard her cry at 3 and went to go soothe her. I think she slept after but her wrist joint was noticibly swollen today. We checked in at 8AM at the Vet's and she had an elevated temperature and they ran some blood tests. Her tick test was all negative but her platelets were low and neutrophils were looking skewed and she was high suspicion for Anaplasmosis (tick-borne disease).

[​IMG]

Two dogs in little over a year with this crap. I want to scream. She got two shots (steroid and antibiotic) and pills we'll start tomorrow for a month. By the time we got home she was using the paw gingerly...but at least she was using it. Vet said with such mild falls he's recommending the drops through December. I think I quit in November.
    I'm worn out doctoring dogs. But We will reschedule her spaying after she's been treated

He got a bang out of her Ping-Pong-Ball behavior though. Expressed concern about her wanting to use her mouth all the time. Questioned me on training again. Love that. [​IMG] But I guess it's a fair question and he is a kind man. I think he's understanding it's a personality trait in this dominant dog. And they aren't all the same.

Got her home and Let out Tootsie and the Girls.

It's Basketball Mania for the next 3 days for us. That and a sick dog. IDK....wish me luck.

8. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

2 people like this.
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

There is no reason you should be incubating under the table, Move the incubators onto the table. My DW said I could not have incubators in the dining room this year...Guess What I have in the dining room...

10. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by