Surviving Minnesota!

Okay so I’ll just use the leftover paint from the kids rooms. Some nice sherwin Williams is going in the chicken coop!

I do have to ask, I just got done talking to the local feed/landscaper guy and he had a few points I wasn’t sure about.

1. Only raise chicks in garage with a heat lamp. Our garage actually is not insulated whilst the coop is. Plus I am stuck on the MHP concept.

2. Raise the chicks on a meat bird feed until the meat birds are old enough to cull off and then switch to a multi-flock feed.

3. Wait until mid-March to even consider ordering chicks...

I’m even more confused now. I know y’all said to go with pullets but we can’t afford those every year (for meat birds) so we are going to just start with chicks and learn it this way for the yearly meat babies.
1) I would start with pullets for layers so you don't have to deal with heat lamps as much. As for meatbirds you have to get them as chicks, as Ralphie said. Be very careful with them, do not use the clamp find a different way to securely fasten it.
2) I guess I have heard a lot of different things in meat birds. A neighbor of ours has them on chick feed til about 8 weeks and then free ranges them until the last week, during the last week they get meatbird feed.
3) When you order doesn't really matter in my opinion, I have ordered in every month from February to July. The July chicks did better in terms od growth, but the February chicks are better scavengers

I planted 28 eggs today. :th. Largest batch yet! :wee
IMG_9511.JPG
IMG_9581.JPG

Stringbean. If you read the section on raising chicks in the education center you’ll get the jist of what needs to be done with chicks.
Basically warmth at one side of the brooder. Water and food other side of brooder away from heat lamp to get reprieve if they are too hot. Thermometer to let you know adequate temp of brooder (based on age of chick).

Clean bedding.

Clean water. Steady clean food supply.

Check for clear vents (no pasty butt)I start with a 1/2 cap of acv in the water too to help begin good gut health and assimilate the protein in their feed more efficiently.

Introduce short grass clippings and bugs after a week or two.

For me I brood in the garage in front of my car space. The garage is insulated but in April there have been 40-50 degree days gusting in with the garage door opening and the birds have thrived.
Brought one brood in the house for an hour after the power went out during a snow storm but when power was back on. Out they went. No dusty house for me thank you.

I use a heavy duty finer quality premier supplies heat lamp. It’s sturdy and I have good peace of mind using it. I use a red bulb in it.

Last edited:
Morning. I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning, I have lots of happy birds with fresh bedding. I also built a dust bathing box for the layers so they can bathe with snow on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom