Surviving Minnesota!

Morning slept in today. 41 here..

I went to check my hatch. The worst year for hatching on record continues.
I have legbar babies. I need boys, regular cream and cajun-crele boys!!!

I have 2 colored leg bars, both look cream, both are girls.

I have 4 whites. I cannot sex them. I am glad to have the whites, but I really needed boys 2 of the whites came from cream eggs. It appears I do not have the white gene out of my creams, quite yet.

I have one Dom. a boy, I need girls.

I forget the number of pc. I think 3-4. (senility). I cannot sex them for weeks.

I put two toad eggs into the incubator and neither is hatching.

Speaking of toads I noticed a disturbing trend last night. I have the guy I posted last night, and he is a inside the bard free ranger. He was too mean to the younger roosters so he went inside with three girls for the winter. Then I have the younger guys outside. He is 50% larger than the yearlings. This worries me that I might be losing size in future generations. My goal was a large sustainable bird.

They are still large but not the super large a Bert should be. If the buckeyes take size from the toads also I could be back to just a normal dual purpose breed. I do not want that!.......

Hybrid values might be getting lose here......Jerry HELP!!!

Maybe I’ll just go throw them in BCs yard... It’ll keep her fox busy...

Oh good more target practice...:rolleyes:

Pearl roosted last night. No sleeping in the nest box.

Inlaws are back from Texas. Celebrated their 54th anniversary with them. Pizza night style.

Another glorious spring day on tap it looks like.

Morning slept in today. 41 here..

Speaking of toads I noticed a disturbing trend last night. I have the guy I posted last night, and he is a inside the bard free ranger. He was too mean to the younger roosters so he went inside with three girls for the winter. Then I have the younger guys outside. He is 50% larger than the yearlings. This worries me that I might be losing size in future generations. My goal was a large sustainable bird.

They are still large but not the super large a Bert should be. If the buckeyes take size from the toads also I could be back to just a normal dual purpose breed. I do not want that!.......

Hybrid values might be getting lose here......Jerry HELP!!!
No experience on this but I would say to maintain hybrid size and vigor you need to make hybrids . So two distinct lines are needed .

I thought I would show you two of the dumbest roosters alive.

IMG_8817 (2).JPG

Hobbles on the left. He lost his toes two years ago when he was too stupid to go into a coop, spending the night on a roost in the middle of a blizzard...

The Legbar, while good looking, is not smart either. This is the one I have caught attacking Grey Cat several times. One of these time Grey Cat is going to open her claws on him. Last night I shut 2 of the 3 sliding doors. Then I saw he was outside being stupid , like always. I tried to get him in the door that was still open. This is a large 9 ft wide sliding door. The lights were on. He refused to go in that door. I guess he has never used that door before. He kept running back to the center door that was closed and waiting for it to open.

He won, I gave up and opened the door so he could walk in the door he wanted to walk in.

I thought I would show you two of the dumbest roosters alive.

View attachment 1358399

Hobbles on the left. He lost his toes two years ago when he was too stupid to go into a coop, spending the night on a roost in the middle of a blizzard...

The Legbar, while good looking, is not smart either. This is the one I have caught attacking Grey Cat several times. One of these time Grey Cat is going to open her claws on him. Last night I shut 2 of the 3 sliding doors. Then I saw he was outside being stupid , like always. I tried to get him in the door that was still open. This is a large 9 ft wide sliding door. The lights were on. He refused to go in that door. I guess he has never used that door before. He kept running back to the center door that was closed and waiting for it to open.

He won, I gave up and opened the door so he could walk in the door he wanted to walk in.

Ralphie, have you considered a long handled landing net for those difficult situations ? At your age all that hustling around may lead to cardiac arrest ?

Back
Top Bottom