Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Folks-455 posts since I was last on?! Um, I know it was a couple days but really!! I will not be reading through all of those so give me a highlights reel if you can.

So I am alive. No, there has been no calf born yet. But thank goodness IMO since we were dealing with -30s windchills!

I had to put down my only Buff Brahma hen today. The other chickens had pecked a whole so big and deep under her vent. It was really bad.
    I can't get the birds to go outside and I know that being cooped up for so long with these horrid temps are making them stir crazy. I feel so bad but I also feel like I can only give the birds so much to do inside and the rest is up to them. I don't know. Guilty feelings I guess. Could have I prevented this from happening? This flock is really running me ragged sometimes.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am interested to see if you get the barred and the orange and white... You will like the size of the "toads". I had not really held them until I caught them to sell them. They had huge legs! I should have ate them myself. But heck I have a freezer full of chicken now,

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts!! Sad news u dont have a baby yet!! I am sorry about your brahma!! They are the sweetest hen I have except for a "special" Barred Rock who got her WHOLE beak chopped off in the wind when a door slammed.

1 person likes this.
  4. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I want to cross my big Aussie cross roo over my CX hen but she doesnt lay much...

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am actually pleasantly surprised with the laying of the CX's. I have 5 cx hens and 1 toad (bertha) in my coop, I get 2 eggs a day and do not have any artificial light on them.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Just means you have to be on more!! ROFL..

I would think you will have a calf the next time the barometer drops. If I recall that was about a week from now.

7. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear about your poor hen Rhetts. This terrible weather. [​IMG] I hope this warm up lasts till spring...

1 person likes this.
  8. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    If it is born a week from today it will share a birthday with me!!

Ralph Ralph Ralph!! Good news!! I was talking to a big Muscovy breeder and he really likea how good of quality mine are!! I bet you wish u would have taken the chance at getting them now!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Yeppers. I wish I had your Muscovy as much as I wish I had measles, the Asian flu and polio all at once.[​IMG]

10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    This is the second time someone mentioned the barometer drop and the calf coming to me. If she waits until this weekend with the temps in the mid 20's I will dance a happy dance!! That beats -20 any way you slice it!! [​IMG]

I actually was out of town and as you might remember Ralphie, I am not one of the yuppie guppies with a cell phone that has internet so that means I cannot keep myself updated on all the chicken news going on. Bummer I know. A small sacrifice to make not keeping up with the times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by