Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

It is a tad tart, but again makes a great jelly.

We use to have wild grapes here when I was a kid, they grew by the river, I think the refuge destroyed them for some reason, I do not think they grow there anymore. They made great grape juice and jelly, they were a tad tart until after they froze.

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    My mom used to drag us to pick wild grapes by the railroad tracks in elk river behind Beaudry's, she also picked them at the cemetary on banks of lake orono. made grape jelly, good stuff. I don't think they grow in either place anymore, maybe the cemetary...

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

The problem with grapes besides finding them is beating the birds to them, they love them.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    It's going down to 19 here tonight. We're all dying! I don't know how ya'll do it! We may even get SNOW FLURRIES! We have no snow plows. We close the schools based upon the scant possibility of a flake falling. My turkeys, however, love this weather!

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    19? Oh how i love 19!

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

If we had 19 I could make an undies run to the coop again! I love when we get up into short sleeves and cut-offs like that! Maybe I could enjoy a Mikes while watching chicken TV..

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
  8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I went out for chores tonight and when i opened teh coop i was afraid Big Buck was dead! he was laying on the ground with his front half shimmied up under the nest boxes that are about 6" off the floor. I was certain he crawled up in there to die due to the cold (he was fine and crowing this AM)

Well i put my hand on him and he comes flying out from under there madder than a wet hen!! i guess he found his warm spot! I brought in another two armloads of that ruined straw bale and dumped it in the corner where he usually sleeps for him to bed down in tonight. I can't wait for this pending warm up and neither can my birds!!

1 person likes this.
  9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    @duluthralphie how did your root canal go?

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Wasn't bad, it was a redo of a root canal I had done 30+ years ago, the dentist was good. The dental insurance paid 100%, I have head ache and sore jaw, but all in all went good.

The dentist and his assistant were not as impressed with my chicken pictures as they should have been.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by