Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    Ohh I'm sorry to hear about your girl, hope she pulls through..

2. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    I do thank you for letting me have Porter and hanging on to him till I can get my little farm..

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I have raised pin cherries as an ornamental. I like the bark color and texture and the fact it has a relatively small mature size.
    I have abandoned them as a landscape ornamental due to the fact that they sucker profusely and quickly infest a large area.
    The fruit is colorful, birds love it and it makes good jelly.
    I don't know of any efforts to use it to develop hardy pie cherries.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Here is the tail end of a meal worm pupae I caught morphing from pupae to beetle.
    [​IMG]

kinda like someone trying to wriggle out of tight pants... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    This reminds me I need to take down some fruit pieces to my little creepy crawlies in the basement.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Another good one is Choke Cherries and even wild grapes if you can find some.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

If I listed the breed "Swedish Hemorrhoid" [​IMG] I would get double secret probation again,,, Life it not fair...[​IMG][​IMG]

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have pin cherries growing here Cluckies, They are wild or volunteer. They make a great jelly.

9. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Yep know choke cherries . I saw a wild grape vine on the other end of the property near the road . I will have to see if they fruit . Probably Vitus Riparia or river grape . It is said to be the most cold hardy . We have the wild summer grape here Vitis Aestivailis . I have tasted the Aronia or chokeberry . That is a real spitter .

10. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    So I think I have the semantics of my hopefully soon to be pig pen figure out. I want to do a rotational grazing type setup. Here is my plan. A 100x120x100 trapezoid sliced into 4 fan pieces around a central hub. The central hub allows me to build a solid raised water tank and not have to move it. The pigs will spend about 4-5 weeks per paddock. I picked this size based on average 'square feet per pig per day ratios' based on several sources I read from. I got the hub and spoke idea from Smiths Medows blog but watered it down to my size. They do 26 half acre slices for 50-60 pigs moved every 2 weeks. Crazy!

Anyways, water in the middle with a portable shelter and feed trough. Pigs start on one side and work their way to the other for easy fencing. I picked a trapezoid over a square as I don't think the pigs would make good use of a sharp point on the outside triangles. Adding 10 extra feet of fencing per paddock is nominal compared to the added usable area.

I plan on using 3 or 4 strands of electric wire around the outside and 3 on the inside moving 'walls'. There will be a solid gate at the bottom center for entry
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by