Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Yes Ralphie, I believe that was the last name of the eccentric weather man from channel 6. He went to someplace where they actually have heat waves I think, but he was very entertaining while he was up here. That was a long time ago now. Come to think of it most things were a long time ago now?

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I started sprouting some corn today... The darn feed mill doesn't sell barley till spring!!

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    My wife just returned from the veterinarians office. $45 to look at her Shi Tzu and say yes he looks good and we can neuter him.
    Then they come up with three estimates. Normal neuter $268 & change or with this $468 or with this & that $668. It seems quite extreme to me, as he already is current on all shots.
    I told her to call Dr. Pol & make an appointment. It would probably be less to drive there and have it done even considering gas money.
    She doesn't think I am very funny, which is a shock to me.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Okay what is going on with the vets?

Here in our small town a Neutering is $409 I was told by a friend with a young male lab. I informed her to go to my vet in Pine River. Neighboring town. This is the only sane guy left in the state I think.

For Spaying Sadie the cost is $175 because she's under 50 #. If she was over 50# then $225. Thank goodness this man lives within an hour drive. I think Spaying has always been more in cost than neutering due to the invasiveness of the procedure.

But tread easy there ejb...I understand it would be hard to lose your snowblower lady, fixit lady, lawn lady in one fall swoop.... LOL. [​IMG]

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That's for sure. I think I was living in Tofte at the time her was there. We only got 2 or three channels off a repeater back then. One thing we never had in Tofte was heat waves!

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    EJB, Judy has no sense of humor, so you are lucky!

Did you try Doughatry (SP) ? By the copper top church. I still take my dogs up there for surgeries if needed, They beat any price I get around here.

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Have u ever thought of neutering your dogs yourself?? I mean people can do it with calves and even roosters at home so why not a dog?? I wouldn't do that at home though... Your dog might kill u for giving him a high pitch voice though... But he will be mellow so he wouldn't...

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

No, not my wife. I would like to think I know better than saying something that would earn me a bust jaw :)

I wish I could say it was from something cool sounding like saving a puppy from a speeding truck or something but no... My buddies and I set up a giant slip and slide one summer during college. It was a construction tarp that was something like 25'x150' long story short I was sliding down said slip and slide, and another guy decides he wants to tackle me mid slide as he walked up the hill. His knee met my jaw and pow.... Lights out.
    My jaw was all cocked off to the side and I could close my mouth until we went to the ER and they pumped me full of muscle relaxers and Valium

9. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    At bare minimum, we get 20 minute breaks every hour. Some rotations are only on 40 minutes . If we happen to fall in middle of a shift change, sometimes we are only out there 20 minutes and then back on break. Sometimes they make us take double breaks... It just equates to ALOT of free time while on the clock.

10. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't know if you can just band a dog like you would a calf or pig... Otherwise people probably would. I'm no vet but I think the testes don't descend until they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by