Surviving Minnesota!

I think DH plans to buy just roos. I do intend on ranging them but I know they need feed too. How much longer do they take to get to weight when they are ranged? I plan to keep them like the rest of the chickens here. Feed station near their coop but they are free to wander all day and then lock up at night. The CX will have the yard and my laying flock will be ranged in the back with the cattle so they will never be together. Sound ok??

I get my Cornish X from L and M fleet.
Our local L&M ran a special last year. The birds came from Welp or Hoover but if I remember correctly they arrived somewhat early. Like April. That seems too soon for me here. Although I do have a 8'x4' brooder they would be in but I figure they will out grow that sooner than they can be moved outside. Do they need heat longer than standard chicks or about the same?

I think DH plans to buy just roos.  I do intend on ranging them but I know they need feed too.  How much longer do they take to get to weight when they are ranged?  I plan to keep them like the rest of the chickens here.  Feed station near their coop but they are free to wander all day and then lock up at night.  The CX will have the yard and my laying flock will be ranged in the back with the cattle so they will never be together.  Sound ok??

In my experience, if you give them free choice feed they will eat that before they go free ranging. Not just meat birds, my laying flock too. I feed measured amounts to my meat birds based on age and feed some in the AM and most at night. In my mind the morning feeding gets them up and moving and encourages them to get out and find more food. Then at night you give them the majority of their feed to help with loading on the protein to help weight gain.

Edit: this is just what works for me, others may have different results or methods

Last edited:
In my experience, if you give them free choice feed they will eat that before they go free ranging. Not just meat birds, my laying flock too. I feed measured amounts to my meat birds based on age and feed some in the AM and most at night. In my mind the morning feeding gets them up and moving and encourages them to get out and find more food. Then at night you give them the majority of their feed with loading on the protein to help weight gain.
Sounds good.

In my experience, if you give them free choice feed they will eat that before they go free ranging. Not just meat birds, my laying flock too. I feed measured amounts to my meat birds based on age and feed some in the AM and most at night. In my mind the morning feeding gets them up and moving and encourages them to get out and find more food. Then at night you give them the majority of their feed to help with loading on the protein to help weight gain.

Edit: this is just what works for me, others may have different results or methods

When they can...No snow on the ground...mine will bypass the feed and head straight out to free range. They'll maybe do some polishing and filling the cracks later in the day with different feed bowls I have around the property...but my Pastured birds are out the door as soon as they get off the roost.

When they can...No snow on the ground...mine will bypass the feed and head straight out to free range.  They'll maybe do some polishing and filling the cracks later in the day with different feed bowls I have around the property...but my Pastured birds are out the door as soon as they get off the roost.

I must have lazy birds :)
I had to cut morning feelings entirely for my one coop of layer late this summer. They would eat the 'breakfast' the go lay in the shade of my asparagus (after is I let it go to fern) until I brought 'dinner' and they would go bonkers and have a feeding frenzy. Then after that they would maybe go roam around some.

My other coop on the other hand will range the farm end to end looking for goodies as soon as they can

Being a self acclaimed expert in CX's.....

I do not feed mine in the morning. I feed them at night as a way to get them back in the coop. I give them only the feed they can eat in 20 minutes than I take the feed away. Most are done way before the 20 minutes is up.

I raise mine slowly than the "book" says. I found I have healthier birds that grow larger if I limit the feed. I also feed them 15% after the first few days. The guy in the feed store said I would have weak legged birds. I do not think that is the case.

I like BIG birds. Birds I can smoke and grill. As those that have gotten my birds can attest to they are huge at 13 weeks and still healthy, I did not lose one bird to the normal CX ailments raising them this way. The birds come too early for me in the stores also.

I must have lazy birds
smile.png

I had to cut morning feelings entirely for my one coop of layer late this summer. They would eat the 'breakfast' the go lay in the shade of my asparagus (after is I let it go to fern) until I brought 'dinner' and they would go bonkers and have a feeding frenzy. Then after that they would maybe go roam around some.

My other coop on the other hand will range the farm end to end looking for goodies as soon as they can

that has been my experience too. I only feed afternoons, or they just sit around all day and do not chase bugs!

Back
Top Bottom