Surviving Minnesota!

Who did you get the Wyandottes from?
Dragonfly Farms out of AR. Other than the coloring, they are nice looking birds so far and she was very nice to deal with. But I am a bit disappointed about the coloring. What makes the columbian pattern so pretty and regal is that lacing with solid white/buff, and no spots mixing in.

If these sussex seem to be decent birds, I might just get some columbians from cackle too. So far the SS are a hoot, such active little guys. This weekend was there first day out of chickie jail (I have this large cage on the floor of the coop, with a pet carrier in it. So mama and chicks can bond and get used to the rest of the gang.)

Friday evening was their first day without the cage and they were so excited. Running around flapping their little wings. Mama hen was a wreck, but the chicks were enjoying themselves. Saturday morning mama hen took them outside and by the afternoon they were professionals at using ramp which has been a problem in the past (turkey poults...aren't as quick on the uptake I guess).

*Edit- theres a couple cinnamon queens too, just to get some eggs quicker (hopefully)

Attachments

• A6A19811-D63C-44DF-908F-61F2C1EA15CE.jpeg
    A6A19811-D63C-44DF-908F-61F2C1EA15CE.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 91B68916-3A2C-4F85-9B0C-0ED35C5A8885.jpeg
    91B68916-3A2C-4F85-9B0C-0ED35C5A8885.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 5
  • FE4B6A7A-3D6C-458C-BF65-CB304B836617.jpeg
    FE4B6A7A-3D6C-458C-BF65-CB304B836617.jpeg
    703.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Dragonfly Farms out of AR. Other than the coloring, they are nice looking birds so far and she was very nice to deal with. But I am a bit disappointed about the coloring. What makes the columbian pattern so pretty and regal is that lacing with solid white/buff, and no spots mixing in.

If these sussex seem to be decent birds, I might just get some columbians from cackle too. So far the SS are a hoot, such active little guys. This weekend was there first day out of chickie jail (I have this large cage on the floor of the coop, with a pet carrier in it. So mama and chicks can bond and get used to the rest of the gang.)

Friday evening was their first day without the cage and they were so excited. Running around flapping their little wings. Mama hen was a wreck, but the chicks were enjoying themselves. Saturday morning mama hen took them outside and by the afternoon they were professionals at using ramp which has been a problem in the past (turkey poults...aren't as quick on the uptake I guess).

*Edit- theres a couple cinnamon queens too, just to get some eggs quicker (hopefully)

The SS will fast become favorites.. they are so friendly and talkative. But they do whine a lot.

I did not have my camera on me. But as I was opening the coop this morning the cement block step had chunks of viscera (like chopped aorta of some sort) and a white splat of ginormas diameter. BOP with squirrel meat? IDK.... but all. left. on. my chicken coop. cement!!!!! :idunno:barnieThanks for the reminder BOP.... :rant

I did not have my camera on me. But as I was opening the coop this morning the cement block step had chunks of viscera (like chopped aorta of some sort) and a white splat of ginormas diameter. BOP with squirrel meat? IDK.... but all. left. on. my chicken coop. cement!!!!! :idunno:barnieThanks for the reminder BOP.... :rant
What is BOP?

Kinda has some very nice birds. Columbian is a very very hard variety to get right. It takes a lot of birds to get a few birds with good pattern on them. How old are your birds?

Sunny two has a bumble foot on a toe. Did some surgery attemp on her and she started bleeding pretty good. No blood stop or any thing on hand. Did some corn starch and pressure. Still oozy. Vet wrapped her good. Will check her again here in a little bit to be sure it’s holding.
Ugh. I think I’ll get the blood stop before I monkey with that one again...

Back
Top Bottom