Surviving Minnesota!

Winona is right! We had three found in the same neighborhood in the same day recently I believe! That's what happens when people want to build houses in their habitat, just like anything else :confused:

I've lived in Winona my whole life and have never seen one, so I've never been all too worried about it. My dad did hunt them back in the 80's when it was legal. I have eaten rattlesnake though, not bad.

Someone was just telling me recently they told someone they knew from West or North and they wouldn't believe them we even had them in MN haha.

Winona is right! We had three found in the same neighborhood in the same day recently I believe! That's what happens when people want to build houses in their habitat, just like anything else :confused:

I've lived in Winona my whole life and have never seen one, so I've never been all too worried about it. My dad did hunt them back in the 80's when it was legal. I have eaten rattlesnake though, not bad.

Someone was just telling me recently they told someone they knew from West or North and they wouldn't believe them we even had them in MN haha.
We in western SD have rattlesnakes, but not up here where I live. I’m told they don’t like the elevation. (~a mile) Anyone know whether this is true?

Hmm, I wonder why we don’t have them, then. We never had them in Custer when I lived there either (same elevation). A friend there used to buy dead ones for the skins (for their tourist shop) and said he never got any from our area and that he’d been told the reason was elevation. I’ve wondered ever since whether this was true. We lived outside of Custer for around 12 years and here for another 15. The only rattlers I’ve seen have been in the lower elevations. There must be some other reason though, or maybe it’s just luck.

Hmm, I wonder why we don’t have them, then. We never had them in Custer when I lived there either (same elevation). A friend there used to buy dead ones for the skins (for their tourist shop) and said he never got any from our area and that he’d been told the reason was elevation. I’ve wondered ever since whether this was true. We lived outside of Custer for around 12 years and here for another 15. The only rattlers I’ve seen have been in the lower elevations. There must be some other reason though, or maybe it’s just luck.
Today I was told of five different rattlers being found right in the neighborhood just recently. I have never found one on this property but my nephews found one in the street beside this property. It is right at one mile elevation here at the house. A piece of property that I used to have NE of here and at a higher elevation had rattlesnakes all over the place.

There may well be a legitimate reason that there apparently are no rattlers in your neighborhood but it is not because of the elevation. The other possibility is that they are around in small numbers and just luckily you are not running into them.

Back
Top Bottom