Surviving Minnesota!

These chicks hatched while I was in the hospital 2-14 . I was expecting blue laced but no blue in any of them . Odd .
DSCN1036.JPG
DSCN1035.JPG

Good Morning! We had about an inch of snow yesterday, but most of it melted. We have a mini lake in front of the barn door. This may require some landscaping this summer.

Chicks are hatching like crazy. After loosing a few to a heat lamp burning out I invested in WiFi in the barn. Govee has some fun thermometer/hygrometers that sync to my cell phone, my daughter also installed the app. Next up....I may be winning a Ralphie lottery for wifi coop cameras. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Jerry it is great to see that you escaped the prison walls of the hospital. Stay Strong!

Morning!
Jerry, glad you’re home. I hope you’re feeling much better!
With our lovely warm weather, the varmints are once again out and about. Caught this guy last night after he got into my (I thought) safe run and killed my BR that had just come back into lay:

D81C9D8B-1F95-4E6D-9CBA-D23239E92D87.jpeg

He appears to be suffering from lead deficiency, so I will be administering a high velocity injection as soon as I finish my breakfast. I had my suspicions that if was indeed PePe, so I took a roll of wire and attached one end to the trap before I set it. I got the trap dragged away from the coop, out in the field so I can approach it from the upwind side to administer said lead injection.

Morning!
Jerry, glad you’re home. I hope you’re feeling much better!
With our lovely warm weather, the varmints are once again out and about. Caught this guy last night after he got into my (I thought) safe run and killed my BR that had just come back into lay:

View attachment 2544585
He appears to be suffering from lead deficiency, so I will be administering a high velocity injection as soon as I finish my breakfast. I had my suspicions that if was indeed PePe, so I took a roll of wire and attached one end to the trap before I set it. I got the trap dragged away from the coop, out in the field so I can approach it from the upwind side to administer said lead injection.

I’ll pay 2 bucks to watch you remove him alive from the trap and humanely drown him. Which would save on valuable lead.

I’ll pay 2 bucks to watch you remove him alive from the trap and humanely drown him. Which would save on valuable lead.
Aww, rats! I saw your offer too late! I don’t think it would have worked well anyway, since the lake is quite frozen over, especially after last week’s cold. I don’t feel like chopping a hole in the ice, and DH is out of commission for the next 6-8 weeks. (He’s recovering from an unplanned quadruple bypass surgery. He’s only 9 days post-op.) I’ll tell you what - next skunk I get, I’ll let you come chop a hole in the ice and closely supervise (or demonstrate) the getting the live skunk out of the trap and placing it in the water for a short swim. You could stop by on your way to Big Stone Lake to go fishing. Did you ever get there to catch some perch?

Aww, rats! I saw your offer too late! I don’t think it would have worked well anyway, since the lake is quite frozen over, especially after last week’s cold. I don’t feel like chopping a hole in the ice, and DH is out of commission for the next 6-8 weeks. (He’s recovering from an unplanned quadruple bypass surgery. He’s only 9 days post-op.) I’ll tell you what - next skunk I get, I’ll let you come chop a hole in the ice and closely supervise (or demonstrate) the getting the live skunk out of the trap and placing it in the water for a short swim. You could stop by on your way to Big Stone Lake to go fishing. Did you ever get there to catch some perch?

Nope, never got there. I am guessing that will have to wait a year or two.

As far as the skunk goes, I can’t show you my technique as it is a closely guarded family secret. I suggest you just practice until you figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom