Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    So happy and sad at the same time, bet it's heartbreaking to see. Good luck, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

2. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    Here is the little guy we have been waiting so long for!!

8 people like this.
  3. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    It has to be. We don't know for certain but she gives good reasons to think so today!

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ohhh, he is adorable! Poor little guy. I wonder if when the other mama calves, would she take him in? like a surogate? if you put him with the other mama now, would she take him and mother him? everything but nurse? or does that never happen?

5. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    I dont even know how to comment on this..LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I think the other Hereford possibly would take him and even nurse him. She let 2 young cows suckle her when we let her out of the barn today. (young I mean 11 months old and and 18 month old) We had to chase them off her. LOL! Based on how the other one bagged out she is about 2 weeks away from calving. We are hoping we can make this one nurse and if not we have supplies for bottling it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    awww great news on baby being here,, not so great that momma isnt helping more..

8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

That stinks. Good luck. R u guys going to keep her after this little fiasco?

9. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I should mention that our egg business was profitable if you depreciate the infrastructure costs from this years startup. We also figure in the fact that we had to buy chicks and bought some pullets which means we fed a majority of our flocks for most of the year with no eggs from them. That said, I look forward to what this year will bring for us with our flock being prime for laying this year plus feed costs about to drop when i start mixing my own feed (getting my corn in february some time when the neighbor starts hauling). We will be able to sell the whole summer at the market which will be a blast.

Like i said, i am not shooting for a profit. If my eggs do well that opens up budget room for me to write off other farm expenses. I am going to expand a bit in the broilers this year but only for my own use plus several friends and families who want to buy in. We decided we dont want to sell on the open market as that seems like too much work for to fine of a profit margin. I will make that effort for my friends but not strangers. The only thing I have considered is to raise a small batch of CX with a target date near thansgiving and then let them get to 10-12 lbs and sell them. The same principle as the broilers will apply to the hogs i am planning for this year. Since I would do 2 and 3 probably wont be any more work I can sell some to friends/family to help offset costs on my own portions.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Oh my gosh!! He is so CUTE!! He doesnt look like a pure hereford? Looks like half Red angus half hereford? Maybe I just cant see all the markings. I dont know if u want him to nurse on the other cow. The calf she has would more than likely be a runt if this calf gets adopted by her. R u going to bottle feed him?? Sounds like its time for momma to go to the sales barn or the dinner table.
    Its OK... I understand it can be hard to think I could have been so dumb at one time. I think seeing Ralphs posts imcreased my knowledge... His know-it-allness is rubbing off on me!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by