Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Ha ha!! It seemed like that. But after getting the last of the quills out and a last clean it went into an ice chest and to a friend that did the cooking. It was that big, though. Never in my life.

Things changed for our thanksgiving. Instead of going to the Inlaws they are all coming over here. So I am now cooking for 14-15 people. Found dishes at the world market. 24 for 24 bucks. Can't believe the price. Nice plates so cheap. So at least they will match. Nothing else well.

Two days of cooking. But I hope when people get here I will have most of it done.

2. Hope you got some meds for the pain. I just can't sleep. Lucky I don't have pain. Besides the normal stuff anyway.

3. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Good morning all! Looks to be another beautif day!

Are you done with daycare ralphie?

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have Daycare next Monday, so I will go down Sunday night for my last one.

Thanks BR, I did get back to sleep, I just took some aspirin and wrapped a heating pad around my knees.

Busy day here, I have to start work on the turkey. I have decided to do mine 2 ways. I have cut it in half and am going to smoke the one half starting at 6 tonight, and the other my Wife will throw in a roaster tomorrow. I figure with luck one of us will have good turkey. We have 8 adults and 2 kids (under 5) coming so we should have plenty on just a half. Each person will be instructed they need to eat 3 pounds of turkey before being allowed to go home.

I am a little worried I will not get enough brine into the smoked half, had it not been for daycare duty I would have had it brining since yesterday morning. I may try injecting a little, but that can be so iffy.. Any Suggestions from any of you that smoke meat?

5. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota

Dixie is the same, she is collar wise. She will look at would with a look that says 'I'm not wearing my collar and you aren't fast enough to catch me...' But even when she is wearing it I know she is willing to trade a zap for getting a mouthful of something tasty. She will take that deal every day of the week

6. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I have brined my smoked birds for less than 24 hours and had good results. You could always go straight to a salt rub instead of a brine

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Pearl has taken the zap, but not often. When she does you can see her contemplating it before hand. She is smart enough to only take it once too. She will sprint across the line and grab a treat or whatever and refuse to come out. She knows I will give in and turn the fence off before she goes back across.

I have thought of getting one of those transmitters that cover a 18 foot radius or whatever it is. (variable I think) and put it inside the coop, that way she would get zapped the entire time she was inside. But it is not the eggs she eats inside, it is the feed. she loves the chicken mash and thinks I do not feed her enough. Which is why the Vet tells me she is way too fat at 100 pounds. She looks good at 70.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I might try that, I have never done a rub, but I know the southerners do it all the time.

9. KlopKlop

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Are you sure you aren't taking about my dog? Because it sounds like you are :)

I have caught her scarfing from the chicken trough shoulder to shoulder with the hens on numerous occasions

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good morning fellas.

Ralphie I hope you are having your mid morning nap now and those knees are getting rested. Your guineas and turkeys have their own little minds don't they. I might have you pop some guinea feathers in the mail to me. I saw some Christmas decorations with guinea feathers that looked neat. And I thought to myself, " now where can I get guinea feathers?!"

We have a 30x40 shed to hold snowmobiles, boats and ATVs but it is also brimmed with other paraphernalia such as hand me down oddities "treasures" that are filtered through our parents from clearing grandparents' homes. Holiday storage bins. Decoy bags, deer stands. It's hard to walk in there.

BR I want to come to your house for thanksgiving! I can imagine the tasty food you are making! And the beautiful settings you found. How great!!!

My MIL took on thanksgiving this year. It's just her and FIL and us. So 6 of us. DH is an only child.

But I'll be making creamed cabbage. Because I need some of that next to taters and gravy. And I think I'll make artichoke dip for a starter. That stuff is always so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by