Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

We must have twin dogs separated at birth.. BUT I do not remember Reagan giving birth to your dog, I thought she was holding one back on us!

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Morning! Wow! Ralphie - I was not in pain but the stupid smoke detector beeped about once a minute. My DH slept right through it. I covered my head with another pillow which blocked out the beep. But I kept thinking about the lab in the basement (where the pack sleeps) and how she hates that beep. She does not look any worse for wear this a.m. And yes, I understand so much more now that I am 'older.' About older persons' talking about aches, pains, death and which widow married which widower. Somehow that is more appropriate where I wanted to run away from the conversation before now.

The dog stories remind me of a Springer (named Spot) that we had when my boys were growing up. Man, that dog could hunt! Other hunters would tell that husband to send the dog if he was not coming to hunt. My youngest got two gerbils. Kept them in his room, which was on the second level. I was cleaning and noticed there was no Spot. 'Where is Spot?' Everyone began looking and calling the dog. Down the stairs he came with a tail sticking out of his mouth! He loved watching those gerbils but who would think he wanted to play with them too? I took the tail and told him to drop and out he gagged a gerbil! Those legs on that rodent where running in air. My son looked at me with a sick look on his face and took the gerbil back up to its aquarium. He found the other gerbil hiding in his closet sloping wet. We have always laughed when telling stories about Spot.

I made four loaves of french bread yesterday and two pies. Since I was in the kitchen working diligently I cleaned many shelves and drawers. My DH had to eat leftovers from the freezer that he had to heat up. LOL. I think I am very fortunate - most of the time. LOL. Something tomato based for dinner tonight. And more cooking and cleaning today. Tomorrow I want to sit! there will only be 10 tomorrow and usually we are up to 24. Pick up the bird, expensive bird, and brine it.

I hope all of you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for each one of you. What a group!

3 people like this.
  3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You should have came here! We have enough turkey for 6 more. My son is having one of those awkward conversation thanksgivings with someone he does not know. We could have too!

He is being farmed out by the Air Force to a family willing to take a soldier in the Montgomery Al. area. I think it is a great thing, I wish we had a way to do that around here. It is good he will not be alone tomorrow. He said they had a questionnaire to answer so they could try to match the families to him. He got sent to the first family they tried to match up. They came in and asked "who does not mind a family that drinks?" and "Does watching football appeal to any of you?". He was first to get his hand up.

Creamed cabbage sounds so good. I need rutabagas, my wife does not, so I guess I have to sneak them in.

1 person likes this.
  4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I think I am in trouble already today.

My DW is out of bed, I had the turkey cut in half and "her half" back in the fridge. I had mine covered in brine. She asked me if I cleaned and washed the turkey, as if I would not!

I told her, " yes, I cleaned and washed my half" That was not the proper response, I am not sure why but she acted ticked off at me.

Kloppers I will put a salt and brown sugar rub on it before I start the smoker. I made the brine with Mrs., Butterworth's syrup so the brown sugar did not have to turn liquidly. I took the skin off the turkey hoping the brine would soak in a little faster without the skin.

I am Heading to Coburn's as soon as my coffee it done. I have had to add to her shopping list, she keeps forgetting the good stuff I like, take pickled herring for instance. If she is mad over her half of the turkey not being washed, I might as well take advantage of it and get the stuff I want, she can only get so upset. So this is a free move on my part.

I really think some of you should take of my 40 years plus of marriage conflict resolution and use my counseling services..

5. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    Thanks, I will. :)

Coffee sound good. I will also try to get more pictures. :)

I still haven't made a run for my chickens. They have just been free ranging for a few hours every couple days. I really want to give them something to hang out in for the winter. I won't have time before solid freeze to make it predator proof, so will still limit them, and make sure to lock them up at night, but I need to get them something. Their room is quite large, so space isn't an issue, outside is just more fun. I have just been not feeling well the last few weeks, and it has been taking all I have just to make it through the days. I'm behind on laundry, house cleaning, chicken stuff, and need to paint my girls' bedrooms, etc, etc. Today is supposed to be nice. I think I will just pick up some 4' welded wire and some posts, and use a tarp to cover part of it from wind and snow. I'll build something better in the spring. Thankfully, I'm not planning on putting in a big garden in as it's my first spring here, (just a small one) so I should have time. I will be making at least two breeding pens while I am at it, so maybe I can just make the runs all at once.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Sleepy, I use the brooder/breeding pens for winter runs for some birds. When the ground freezes they are pretty predator proof. What I do on the others is have wire extend out about 18 inches to 2 feet from the walls on the ground. on the hopes the predators will try to start digging right next to the sidewall. ( I can hope).

My biggest predator problems come from the air. I also let my chickens free range all winter. (except when we are gone)

1 person likes this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Roger brought the girls out right away this morning. 33 degrees. They were on the grassy knoll (aka septic mound) plucking at green grass and looking for stray scratch. I hope he wonders around a bit today. They need to get all that good stuff in before winter settles in.

I think our aerial preds are gone after I hollered and hulla-balooed & danced and sent a bald eagle on it's way. My husband and I talked about it and he said Birds of Prey are pretty smart. They move on if they don't like stuff going on. "He said you know how smart your chickens are? Well imagine how smart they are having to hunt and defend themselves all the time." I hope he's right. Darn things. Nothing more unnerving having a bald eagle perched on the pine right next to your Coop door!

Oh Ralphie. I would eat some brined turkey with you! Fun. (And you should have rinsed Judy's half! BTW....) The adoptive family in Alabama sounds like a No-Brainer. that would be a cool thing to do, bring in a service member for Thanksgiving. I tell you on here, I'm mouthy or a smart alec...but in person...I'm sorta self conscious. I think I would be stumbling and uncomfortable meeting anybody. LOL. I'd probably get over it fast though. When I lived in Montana...mid twenties. I worked for a seasonal place and I couldn't take off holidays and I only came home 'around' the holiday and not 'on'. But my Easter (after I put in my morning shift) was spent at a Ranch in Whitehall with some friend's family. They took us in like strays and I always thought that was great. We drove through the pastures and grazing lands, and shot potato guns. LOL. I remember I ripped a hole in my Wranglers on some barbed wire too. And was proud of it. LOL. I remember them feeling bad about it and I was all puffed up. Ahhhh good memories with good folks. Beautiful place.

Good morning Sleepy. Good morning Ivie. I am Thankful for all of you. My cup runneth over. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    And good morning Cluckies! [​IMG]

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Good morning [​IMG]

When I was in bootcamp in Florida over Christmas, If we wanted, we could go with a family in the area for the day for Christmas. It was very nice of them to open their home to us. So I think anyone who can do that is great!

Saw this today, Costco free range eggs Interesting!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

I'll be interested in hearing what your Dad says. I've done red and white, and yes exactly, my red got eaten first 'cause they will not last. Which stinks as my favorite are the red. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by