Surviving Minnesota!

The little guy died last night.

I have it the gene down to 1 of 2 roosters and 1 of 7 hens. I am close!

I actually had thought about splitting my Creamettes up into a group of 3 with one rooster and 4 with the other rooster. I might do that soon. I would have the run for turkeys and BA's.

I would put JJ and Ethel and a couple other hens in that coop and run with the BA's Blackie and JJ do not fight too much and there is room to escape each other. Then move the Creamettes into small cages/pens.

So very sorry. Honest - its so sad when they don't make it.

It is and we always hope beyond reason they will be ok. BUT it had problem that would have meant culling it at some point. Even with the white color, breeding an inferior bird is not something I will do. You have to remember also USA Cream Legbars are kind of inbred.

Mine in particular are. I am trying to get them further apart, but I can only go no further than the original three I got from Heidi. If I keep Creambars I will be looking for a rooster from somewhere else. BUT even that does not guarantee the genetic diversity I need.

Because of the inbreeding I have to make sure I take those out of the line that are not perfect. ( or what I consider perfect). I can not tell with most chicks, this one I could.

Inbreeding while important for cementing a desired gene can cause us grief too.

I am most likely being a wuss here, but doesn't that hurt the birds? What do you do for bird number 17?

I assume it is used to mark hatching groups and not individual birds?
Yes for groups or pens . You do it at hatch . Does it hurt ? I would say some . Do you use ear tags on cattle ? Do women have pierced ears and other piercings ? All done without numbing . Back when I was born circumcision was done without numbing . I am sure it hurt but I do not remember . So no not a concern for me .

OMG! My son finally popped the question to his loving, kind, adorable woman! Between them they have nine children - talk about a blended family! Of course she is older than him just as my youngest sons wife is older than him and I am older than my DH. I am sooooo excited!
Congrats! wow, 9 children. yikes!

Quote: Looks like your on the right track! Hahaha!

And I will have to agree. Burrrrrr. But that sun sure does feel nice on the face. Unlike yesterday (due to the wind) today you can turn your face to the sun and feel its wonderful heat!

I've got a busy day ahead. last night I accidentally dumped a tote full of meal worms in my craft room, I think I got them all, but today I get to move everything, go through everything and make sure. On the plus side, it was only large meal worms, no babies and no beetles, so they were easy to see (I don't have any small ones in this tote) soooo. yeah, that should be fun.
hmm.png

good morning all! I am finally up and moving! I managed to sleep until almost 10 today! havent done that in a while

we are enjoying the sun from the windows and the chickens are enjoying their fodder for the day, so we are all alright!

Back
Top Bottom