Surviving Minnesota!

So Ralphie - what do you have hatching there and are any for sale?

I have all creamette hatching right now.

I also have toads incubating, none have hatched. I just went out and opened all my non-hatching clears. They had no development at all in them. I think I have to get my roosters separated. I need to do what I said and split them. The roosters are most likely too busy knocking each other off to do their jobs. By separating them and as warmer weather comes my hatch rate should go up.

I have 3 Speckled Susex in the incubator set for Mar 2.

I will be putting Ed in with the PC girls on Monday evening when the warm weather hits. I will start saving his eggs on the 21st. I will also be blue EE/PC crosses, I will save for a week and the first eggs will hit the incubator the 28Th. They will hatch mar 20-21ts.

I will be doing some BA's but I am not sure when. I have the pen for them ready, but have not pulled the hens from the flock yet. I might pull them on Monday also. I will need 3 weeks before I save eggs from them.

Turkeys have not started laying, Guineas will be going into lock up in about 3-4 weeks. They started laying around April first last year.

Jerry or EJB have either of you hatched Guineas? I am just wondering as I had a very poor hatch rate with them last year. Is there a trick to hatching them?

Jerry or EJB have either of you hatched Guineas? I am just wondering as I had a very poor hatch rate with them last year. Is there a trick to hatching them?

It is feast or famine on Guineas . When they do good you are overrun with them . They do best free ranging but then the eggs are hard to find .

It is feast or famine on Guineas . When they do good you are overrun with them . They do best free ranging but then the eggs are hard to find .

My plan last year was to let them free range and find the nests. My DW and I searched and searched where we thought the nests were. We found exactly "none". So into the pen they went.

My plan last year was to let them free range and find the nests. My DW and I searched and searched where we thought the nests were. We found exactly "none". So into the pen they went.
You have to spend a lot of time listening for the egg song and watch where they come from after . Very hard to find . Do not let them see you find the nest . Do not disturb until they have a clutch laid .They will abandon the nest . Replacing eggs did not work . Taking 1 a day did not work . Very smart about their nest .

You have to spend a lot of time listening for the egg song and watch where they come from after . Very hard to find . Do not let them see you find the nest . Do not disturb until they have a clutch laid .They will abandon the nest . Replacing eggs did not work . Taking 1 a day did not work . Very smart about their nest .

I would see where they come from. Then sneak out there and search and search and find nothing...

I had more luck finding turkey nests than I did the guineas...DUMB THING!!!

It would seem they knew I was looking too, because the next day they would go another direction. They were nesting about 1/4 mile from the coop.

Last edited:
I have the chicks out of the hatcher.

Not a good hatch at all, I have one with a "warped" leg. I am hoping it gets better. It will never make a show bird or a breeder. So it is another blue egg layer is all.

Here is the mystery chick. I am thinking it I a barred rooster of some kind. Dot on head and I just have a feeling about the barring, I cannot really say why.

There are 8 chicks in this picture, the other 7 have crawled under the mama cave thing! I love it. I am buying more heating pads, They work so well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom