Surviving Minnesota!

Obviously it was nap hour in the barn. LOL!!

Here is Mom Norma Jean taking the role of motherhood seriously. She is always looking out for the little one!!
We decided on a name for her too. Bonnie Jean. Bonnie meaning fine, attractive, pretty, beautiful and Jean meaning God is gracious.

DW just fawned over your little bonnie jean :)

Thank you Aussie for being there that first winter! Ha! this is his 4th winter...Gosh is that right? Already? He'll be 4 years old April 10th...that is if he was a 3 day old chick the day I picked him up. He and I had many a lunch together that first winter salving up those combs and wattles. I hope all goes well for you and hubby with this surgery. Boy. You are one tough lady...that's all I have to say. Bonnie Jean is perfect. A beautiful Scottish Highland Name with a little bit of Momma's name too. She has a lot of her Momma's coloring. What a sweet heart. Now this cow is your cow right? Not BIL's? She's a Bonnie Hairy Coo indeed. :love The other two are growing so well already...I can tell! Crazy! The Momma with the swollen behind...everything still going good there with her calf and such? Yeah Eel Pout are pretty nasty slimy bottom dwelling fish with a writhing tail as Cluckies described. There is boiling them in water...but at the festival they'll cube them up and fry them in bite sizes. After a day outside all day and drinking beer...I think they taste somewhat decent.
I have never eaten an eelpout, I have had them wrap around my wrist though. They are so slimy and the first thing they do when you pull them up is wrap around an arm. I have heard they are good boiled, but what fish isn't good boiled and dunked in butter? Rhetts, I prefer my Northerns fried. They are my favorite fish to eat. I like them better than Walleye, or bull heads.

Jerry show us some chick pics. Exciting times down there in balmy Illinois!

Another thing an eel pout will do when it's wrapping it's tail around you is poop on you or in your boat. They are the grossest fish....

We pickle small northerns. Actually the more Hammer-handle like the better for pickling. My Dad has a great recipe. He does them one jar at a time so the mixture is perfect. Kids love it too. Remniscent of pickled herring. It's a sweeter recipe. So good. Nice and clean and actually blows herring out of the water.

I have chicks hatching . Due tomorrow but some are out . Looks like a good hatch this time .

Hey Jerryse - are you coming to Minnesota just during the summer or to live forever? That eel pout video on Bogtowns thread is a must watch! It will indoctrinate you just a little more on what to expect. Minnesotan's have fun during the winter too.

I have chicks hatching . Due tomorrow but some are out . Looks like a good hatch this time .

I have some out tomorrow. I have them marked for today, BUT I put them in at 9-10 pm and should count 22 days instead of 21..

I have 25 Creamette eggs in. Everyone of the toad eggs were bad. I lost another CX this morning so I am down to 3 Cx hens, one toad hen and one toad rooster.. Not looking good for toads.

How do you add a poll to a thread? Does it have to be done when the thread starts or can it be added later?

Jerry show us some chick pics.  Exciting times down there in balmy Illinois!

Another thing an eel pout will do when it's wrapping it's tail around you is poop on you or in your boat.  They are the grossest fish....

We pickle small northerns.  Actually the more Hammer-handle like the better for pickling.  My Dad has a great recipe.  He does them one jar at a time so the mixture is perfect.  Kids love it too.  Remniscent of pickled herring.  It's a sweeter recipe.  So good.  Nice and clean and actually blows herring out of the water.

I could use a new recipe, I love pickled herring, the recipes I have for northern always turn out way to dry.

Bonnie Jean is perfect. A beautiful Scottish Highland Name with a little bit of Momma's name too. She has a lot of her Momma's coloring. What a sweet heart. Now this cow is your cow right? Not BIL's? She's a Bonnie Hairy Coo indeed.
love.gif
The other two are growing so well already...I can tell! Crazy! The Momma with the swollen behind...everything still going good there with her calf and such?

Yes, Norma Jean is my cow. And yes those two hereford bull calves are growing so much!! And yes, the mom with the very swollen behind is doing very well. Her calf, Rooster, really gets into his suckling! We call the shed/barn they are all in the Maternity Ward. It is big enough that all 3 moms and calves are in there comfortably and each have there own large area.

Back
Top Bottom