Surviving Minnesota!

Leave eggs in her nest . Natures way is for a hen to lay a clutch of eggs and then go broody .

The other thing I have heard is have a bunch of chicks in the area, the sound is suppose to bring on the mommy hormones.

Also I think fake eggs will help too. They become broody by the chest feathers being stimulated by eggs under them... Or bring them here, last year I had no broodies until July. This year everyone wants to go broody.

BTW the first one crapped on me, and managed to go so that it went between my tee shirt and my coveralls ( grandpa pants) it rolled. slid and went all the way down my leg to my socks...It was fun! I left the clothes next to the washer for Judy to wash. (hey, it's her job!!!)..

After I moved those I went to collect eggs from the Guinea Gulag. I have a barrel in there also. I found the nest egg 5' in front of the barrel, All the chips were scraped out and there was just one egg in the next. I went on an egg hunt then, I found a hen in a corner setting on a nest. She had 4 eggs under her. BUT to see those eggs I had to wrassle the hen. She hissed, slapped at me, puffed up. jumped at my feet, and hit me with her wings. I think she is almost broody too.

I did hear her say she wanted to live with Porter though...

That is so funny! I can probably get you a hazmat "bunny" suit if you feel that would help eliminate any future poop.....issues.

I'm glad you survived the slapping, puffing, jumping, and hitting. I was worried for a second.

Thanks, I like certain colors but I like Cochins more. Were they bantams?

I'm pretty sure, yes. I'm heading back there Friday and can take a look for you. You could always give them a call, too, if you'd like to know sooner than later. I can't rave enough about the folks that work there. I love chatting with them.

I am a North Dakotan, but someone came on the North Dakota Site and said I could come here and chat with everyone.
I live on a 17 acre farm raising chickens and beekeeping.
Does anyone else have bees and collect honey?

I am a North Dakotan, but someone came on the North Dakota Site and said I could come here and chat with everyone.
I live on a 17 acre farm raising chickens and beekeeping.
Does anyone else have bees and collect honey?
Hi Chickenlover. Welcome to our thread. We are Minnesota Nice and Minnesota Friendly. Those dudes and dudess on this thread have always been kind to me even through my questions . . . . LOL

So will you be sending chicks or eggs with the same balloon coming our direction?

There are a couple of us that have expressed an interest in bees. I have not started a hive but have progressed from thinking about it to pricing them and reading a little here and there about hives. I think next year for me as this will be my second year of having chickens and I need to compare the first to a second and then move forward.

Have a good rainy days Chickeners. It is a nice rain and is warm here in the banana belt - at least I thought so. And I did sleep in later than usual. Hmmmm. I wonder why that was - LOL.

We need rain here!! The pasture and alfalfa field are starting to grow and with a little warm rain that stuff will shoot up.

Ralphie ignore caychris comments on the white sports . They are simply recessive . No mystery . I chose not to comment on that thread . I think he prefers a mystery .

Back
Top Bottom