Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome other Nodak'er!

Please put a jar of honey on a balloon and let the wind bring it to me. If it misses me, Ivie will get it and return it to me....

Jerry I have a question for you. Do you think the white sports will breed true (in my CLB's) There is a discussion about it on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/509483/cream-legbars/10030#post_16775439

A guy quotes a blog saying the don't. I tend to disagree and think they will have to breed true if bred to each other. if this guys argument is correct it makes no sense that I am getting them as regularly as I am.

Thanks in advance.

2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Welcome to the North Dakotans.
    Ralphie, how many of the White sport CLB have you hatched thus far, and how many are still with you? Have you identified which hen or hens have produced them? Are you using one or multiple CLB roosters?
    It would be interesting if you could produce enough to start a project with them. Have you heard of others that are producing some as well?

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

Minnesotanice I candled the duck eggs and all but two have little babies in them!

4. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's so cool! I love watching the little things bounce around in the eggs! You should hopefully end up with a good hatch rate.

5. MNChickMom

MNChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Central Minnesota
    Thanks for the laugh (all out belly roll) Ralphie.......so glad I didn't let the kids talk me into more than chickens.

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    warm rain here today. things are getting muddy buy boy if things aren't turning green! trees are starting to bud too! my maples already have huge flowery things on them.

My chickens wont be happy with the rain, being stuck inside all day. it is supposed to be nicer by the weekend, if only a little colder.

7. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    @jerryse Lets see some pictures of that hound dog!!

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I have heard of others getting them, I do not know of anyone else trying to breed for them.

As they did not show up last year, which would be f2 of my birds but did come until this year, f3.

With "f" referring to my breeding generations and not the ones since the gene was detected.

If I am correct, I had to have one of my three original birds had the white recessive gene. I lost one of my original three. I think the hen I have left has it. but it could be siblings having it to, I suppose.

I am thinking it is mother/son and I have them in a breeding group with 2 other hens. If I get no more whites I will change up my groups, or if the white come in the other breeding group. I now mark my eggs group 1 and 2.

I want to try and isolate the pair that has it. Because I get one white in about every 25 eggs and because I have 7 hens, it appears just one pairing is giving me the whites, ( a 1 in 4 chance on the Punnett square).

I have had 5 whites, the first died within hours of hatching it had a birth defect I thought could be genetic. The stomach was not inside the body and the yolk never absorbed right. It was a weak bird. The second is alive and doing well. The third died in a stampede of baby CLB's. They are so skittish. I now am trying to keep them in small groups and protect them whenever I can.

The last 2 are doing well. I plan to house the three together real soon. I hope for more. If I get lucky I can get f4 from them this fall/august. Then I will know if I am closer to correct or not.

The pictures I have seen of the white CLB's as adults are beautiful. I would love to have a whole flock of them.

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Why not have another 'hen' get poopy with you when she sees the laundry pile? Ya just keep racking them up Ralphie!

My Boss had a near miss last night too Kloppers. The Deer are like ants in the ditches up here. Green must be sprouting there at least. Picked up my daughter from practice and it was nuts--deer every where. It's a good sign that the winter was definitely not too harsh around here I guess.

EJB Wolves roaming the streets of "civilization" is not a comfortable thing to see. Ugh. They belong in the woods scared of humans. That's where they belong. Management must be a trifle skewed in the Duluth area. Not good for citizens and their pets. Not good for the wolf.

10. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    I am so excited!! I can get my Buckeyes in about 3 weeks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by